Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

7.65mm Sauer Behorden pistol

Article about: My latest 'toy' arrived today. It's a Sauer Behorden pistol which my reference book informs me was used by German military police units. There are no WaA stamps on it, so I assume it to be o

Default 7.65mm Sauer Behorden pistol

My latest 'toy' arrived today. It's a Sauer Behorden pistol which my reference book informs me was used by German military police units. There are no WaA stamps on it, so I assume it to be one of the early production models. I am reliably advised it is not an export model - due to the spelling of 'SOHN' in the address. The pistol has its original holster and spare magazine. Although it has obvious signs of being well used, it is in fairly good condition and is all matching numbers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 7.65mm Sauer Behorden pistol   7.65mm Sauer Behorden pistol  

7.65mm Sauer Behorden pistol   7.65mm Sauer Behorden pistol  

Default Re: 7.65mm Sauer Behorden pistol

Harry, That is the Sauer Model 30.... Very similar to the Behorden Model....Nice find...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Hi Bill,
    I did wonder about it being the Behorden! My book (Small Arms Of The World 1966 edition) lists it as the Behorden. The picture in the book doesn't show the safety on the trigger. I noticed when looking at other sources the safety on the trigger was visible on some but not others. The only other markings on the pistol are commercial proofs of Crown-N. So I assume then that without the trigger-mounted safety its the Model 1930, and with it - its the Behorden?

Hi Harry, very nice pistol. I really love these holsters that hold an extra magazine. Have you had a look inside. I've never seen one of these, but that safety seems to be positioned very high. Is it just a block? Thanks for showing.

Jay

Hi Jay,
    I've just stripped it down and checked inside. When the safety is applied it just pushes a lug up on the inside which blocks the rearward travel of the trigger. The stud on the outside just locks the slide. I had never seen one of these pistols before, but I thought it looked good in the holster. Judging by the indentations to the leather, these items have always been together. Its just a bit shorter than a PPK. Its a pity it can only be owned (over here) in a deactivated state. But I'm not too bothered, I gave up shooting years ago. It started to get booring!

I also recently picked up an absolute bargain at an arms-fair. I spotted a post-war Walther P38 (Bundeswehr P1) at a very cheap price. The dealer said I could have it for £120, or - if I gave him £190 he would give me a P38 holster as well. When I examined the holster I found that it was a genuine wartime WaA938 1944 dated soft shell holster in superb condition. Inside is the name... Oblt W Nowotny. I think I spent all of one second deciding what to do!

Harry.