Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

9mm LP42 Flare Gun & Schalldampfer What is This?

Article about: Hi, does someone have more information on this 9mm flare gun with "HUB schalldampfer 1944" stamped on the top of barrel, and what they were used for? I imagine the HUB is the 3 let

Default Re: 9mm LP42 Flare Gun & Schalldampfer What is This?

Can you show a picture of the pistol in the holster with the flap buckled to show the fit ??

?

Have you dismantled it? I think it's not difficult. The diameter of the round thing in the holster seems too small, so it's not seems to be the silencer. If you screw the collar in the front, you should be able to pull the 9mm barrel out from the rear. Is there few holes in the 9mm inner barrel?
    Maybe I use wrong terms and my english is not so good anyway, but please try to undertand what i am trying to say.

This is obviously an origional flare gun with its origional holster, how ever whose to say that some time after the war someones got hold of this and having 9mm ammuntion available but no 9mm gun converted this piece.... many such guns have been converted over the years and many are still being used in civil wars and conflicts, many homemade and converted guns have been used over the years mainly as a one shot one kill weapon so to obtain the enemys far superior weapon...... perhaps the screw thread did not fit a silencer but fitted an extended barrel for better accuracy especialy if it is a smoothe bore....

Looking at the picture of the barrel on the left hand side it does appear to have a ramp. This leads me to believe that the barrel was originally made for another type of auto or semi auto weapon. I have to say that it does seem to be purpose made for some specific reason not just thrown together in a basement. The fact that it is stamped 9MM on the sleeve makes me think this. The threads and the knurled area????? I've seen them somewhere before but I just can't place it right now. I don't see any reason why anybody would try to fake a mystery flare gun either.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Steve, i agree that the holster and markings on it are probably original to the pistol,therefore the 'GB' initials on the grips are good too. The schalldampner stamping must therefore also be right, but i believe applied in the field with a hand stamping set, due to the irregular level of the letters.

My guess is just that, a guess, that perhaps Herr Billing may have been part of the vetinary corps, or even a farrier or ostler, but definately familiar with horses.

Who Neighs?, Ned.
    Hi Ned, Who Neighs, you are right. How do you conclude that Herr billing was "definitely" familiar with horses?

I guess all were "definitely"....... there were 10's of thousands of horses used by German army.

Regards, Steve

Quote by signalman View Post
    Can you show a picture of the pistol in the holster with the flap buckled to show the fit ??
    Yes, I will show in the holster, and many more photos when I get it. Do not have it yet in hand. I am interested to see waffenampt marks closely, and if any numbers visable and clear. This should/could tell if it is a fake or forgery.

Regards, Steve

Quote by Kala View Post
    Have you dismantled it? I think it's not difficult. The diameter of the round thing in the holster seems too small, so it's not seems to be the silencer. If you screw the collar in the front, you should be able to pull the 9mm barrel out from the rear. Is there few holes in the 9mm inner barrel?
    Maybe I use wrong terms and my english is not so good anyway, but please try to undertand what i am trying to say.
    I will strip it down when it arrives to me.

Thanks for advice, I understand what you said

Regards, Steve

Quote by gibba1008 View Post
    This is obviously an origional flare gun with its origional holster, how ever whose to say that some time after the war someones got hold of this and having 9mm ammuntion available but no 9mm gun converted this piece.... many such guns have been converted over the years and many are still being used in civil wars and conflicts, many homemade and converted guns have been used over the years mainly as a one shot one kill weapon so to obtain the enemys far superior weapon...... perhaps the screw thread did not fit a silencer but fitted an extended barrel for better accuracy especialy if it is a smoothe bore....
    Hi Gibba, all good points, except I do not think just a longer barrel extension or shroud,...why the schalldamper marking??........unless the extension was for muffling sound signature?? I will examine closely when it arrives.

Regards, Steve

Quote by Pompa Mike View Post
    Looking at the picture of the barrel on the left hand side it does appear to have a ramp. This leads me to believe that the barrel was originally made for another type of auto or semi auto weapon. I have to say that it does seem to be purpose made for some specific reason not just thrown together in a basement. The fact that it is stamped 9MM on the sleeve makes me think this. The threads and the knurled area????? I've seen them somewhere before but I just can't place it right now. I don't see any reason why anybody would try to fake a mystery flare gun either.
    Hi Mike, yes, I agree, not just thrown together, and something specific.....like a sound muffler like it says in German on the top
    I also have noticed the same things. Why the ramp? also what is the small notch above it?.....it looks like it might be broken there from someone prying out a cartridge?? I would think you should knock the empty shell casing out with a cleaning rod or wood dowel.
    It will be interesting to examine first hand.

Regards, Steve

Quote by Kala View Post
    "You shoot the poor guy and shoot only his nose off and he screams like hell. I would think you should shoot him twise in a wery short time to ensure that he stays quiet."
    Wery interestin piece.
    I forgot to say this is very funny Kala....you have a good imagination also!! Yes.......he screams like hell, even worse maybe

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast