Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Absolutely Mint Unissued British .303 Enfield No 4 Mark II Rifle. Came still in original wrap

Article about: I bought this pristine, mint and unissued British No. 4 Mark II .303 rifle out of the Shotgun News many years ago. Amazingly, it came still wrapped up in its original paper covering that had

?

Default Absolutely Mint Unissued British .303 Enfield No 4 Mark II Rifle. Came still in original wrap

I bought this pristine, mint and unissued British No. 4 Mark II .303 rifle out of the Shotgun News many years ago. Amazingly, it came still wrapped up in its original paper covering that had been torn in two places to etch on a serial number with an electric pencil. This was done on the side of the receiver and the bottom of the magazine. I heard that this was one of the last batch of these made and was found in a stash in Ireland. Interestingly, the rifle as it was stored in the paper wrap did not originally have a serial number anywhere on it which seems strange to me. How would they have kept track of them after they were issued.

Absolutely Mint Unissued British .303 Enfield No 4 Mark II Rifle. Came still in original wrapAbsolutely Mint Unissued British .303 Enfield No 4 Mark II Rifle. Came still in original wrapAbsolutely Mint Unissued British .303 Enfield No 4 Mark II Rifle. Came still in original wrap
    Last edited by rambob; 12-03-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Default Re: Absolutely Mint Unissued British .303 Enfield No 4 Mark II Rifle. Came still in original wrap

wow, looks great! Have you fired it?

?

Default Re: Absolutely Mint Unissued British .303 Enfield No 4 Mark II Rifle. Came still in original wrap

No, it is still a virgin. I have been really torn, since I do have ammo for it, but can't bring myself to pop its hymen yet.

Bob

To each their own, sir! I'd probably feel the same way if I had a rifle in that condition!

Nice to see a minty fresh one. Gorgeous rifle.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Very sweet!!

The serial number was marked prior to wrapping. The wrapper will have been ripped in those positions to check the serial number for licencing or export or similar. Also, the Irish connection is true however I believe they never actually got to Ireland, the contact was cancelled and they remained in England surplus to requirements.

?

M3bobby, thanks for the info. What you say makes complete sense about the serial numbering of the rifle. So can this rifle be considered one of the last of its kind made?

The last of the No.4 Mk1 and 2 rifles were made at the Pakistan Ordinance Factory Wah Cantt-basically they bought the Fazakerley and Shirley plants and shipped them to Pakistan in the early/mid 1950s to produce the rifle well into the ealy 1960s-they were well made and up to British production standards.

Hi,
    I doubt if this rifle came from a stash in Ireland. I served in the Irish Army Reserve (FCA) in the 1970's and the unit armoury did had racks of unissued No. 4's still in the original cosmoline and waxed paper! I know that all these were eventually sold off, still unfired, to dealers in the USA in the period between about 1995 and 2005. I could not tell you if they had serial numbers on them, although I know that the issued ones had normal stamped serial numbers. I do not recognise the format of the serial number shown on yours. I doubt if it came from the military in Northern Ireland as these rifles were no longer in service there after the 1950's. However, the RUC (Royal Ulster Constabulary) did use No. 4's at least until about 1973 and maybe later. So perhaps it came from them but that is unlikely because I think theirs would have all been issued and would have had stamped serial numbers. Do you know who manufactured yours? Perhaps it was manufactured abroad? Still, a nice 'brand new' old No. 4!
    Regards,
    Draoich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast