Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Advice on bren, is it right?

Article about: Hello all, I have only just registered on the site and this is my first post so be gentle with me if I make a pigs ear of it . I have been given some money and I am looking to buy the classi

Default Advice on bren, is it right?

Hello all,

I have only just registered on the site and this is my first post so be gentle with me if I make a pigs ear of it .

I have been given some money and I am looking to buy the classic Bren. I am not to bothered by model etc but would like it to be ww2.

I am currently looking at this Inglis 1943 Mk1m.

I am no expert and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk1%20Bren%20003-1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	557488   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk1%20Bren%20002-1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	557487  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk1%20Bren%20004-1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	557489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk1%20Bren%20005.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	557490  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk1%20Bren%20006-1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	557491  

Welcome to the board, I hope you find all the advice you will receive here of use.

The Bren is a fine LMG and the right gun is a good investment. I split the Brens into two groups, original spec and mixed bags, collectors tend to prefer original spec and ideally would rather have a matching numbers gun. Military vehicle enthusiasts prefer the mixed bag Brens as they tend to be a little cheaper and don't mind if they look well used.

The Bren in your photos has a reasonable spec, the butt is the Mk2 which is a later replacement but the lower is a Mk1m but as the finish is different to the body I suspect its non matching. The barrel is either a 1941 inglis Mk1m or more likely a Enfield made Mk1 and is also missing the sight protectors (12 ish on ebay). The bipod is also correct being the Mk1 adjustable but it has been pinned/welded/brazed into the up position and the catches removed, this is typical of Indian, South African and New Zealand DP guns.

ATB, Chris.

Many thanks Chris,

The INGLIS stamp looked a bit funny to me. Gun being offered at 485.

Not sure how this compares.

Tom

I'm not expert in Bren, 3 years ago, I saw the guard in Katmandhou, using them. I asked to the sergent if he liked this weapon, no answer! They don't like questions on weapons.

Quote by Grumpygardener View Post
    Many thanks Chris,

The INGLIS stamp looked a bit funny to me. Gun being offered at 485.

Not sure how this compares.

Tom
    Price is OK ish but I suspect you may find one with a Mk1 stock for similar money. The Inglis marking is a little crude but it was applied using a pantograph and the brass copy used often wore out.

Hi grumpy,
    I have taken a shot of the marking on my Inglis they are a good buy mine is a mk 1, makes a great addition top the collection.
    Dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bren 002.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	559481