Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

American Civil War Musket?

Article about: Hi giz, I have looked at the Maynard Carbines and they are different to what you show, the Maynard has no wood stock going under and housing the body block. Also the trigger guard is far dif

Default Re: American Civil War Musket?

Hi giz,
    I have looked at the Maynard Carbines and they are different to what you show, the Maynard has no wood stock going under and housing the body block. Also the trigger guard is far different on the Maynard rifle than the one here. very interesting carbine though.
    Dave.

Not sure what is but it sure is cool. I think it is possible it could be a burnside carbine. I would love to have it. You should try to purchase it if you don't I think you might regret it later on down the road. Cheers, Robert

Not a Burnside-the hammer on the posted item is mounted centrally (which most of the other period weapons don't-usually mounted on the right side of the mechanism)-the mechanism does have features from the Maynard type 2- as stated previously Maynards lack any forestock wood as made but it could have had modifications at some stage in the last 150 years.

?

German or French, the south didn't have many , only what they captured and when ammo ran out it was the end of it.. not Civil War and in pieces., take 50

Giz, that's a strange breech, barrel, and nipple combination, Colt could be right. It may be some kind of morphadite, pardon my language. Can you see any drilled holes going into the bottom of the breech where the wood is gone but you can see where the screws would have been? I would suggest finding a well established gun shop in your area and see if they can give you any clue.

Jay

Hi Gents,

I decided not to be greedy, so I passed up on it. The woman was kind enough to give me a WWI brodie helmet that belonged to her grandfather. She was going to hand it off to an antique store/ auction house for like $50... I told her to hold off and I promised her I'd help identify the rifle and help her get a correct valuation. She's a very nice, kind woman, and I'd hate to see her get ripped off.

Hi colt,
    I think you will find the south were quite well equipped with weapons, the confederates used more enfield muskets
    during the course of the war than any other small arm. Buying from private contractors and gunrunners, when the British refused to sell them arms. When it became obvious that the confederates could not win the war,
    900,000 Enfield P53, muskets were imported to America and were used by both sides.
    dave.

Hi giz,
    what a great gift you were given, congrats.
    dave.

As Jay says, I too believe it is a Virginia Cavalry Carbine. It will be a rare piece
    and worth quite a bit - even in this broken condition. It's possible that the
    damage is war-time related.

There may have been a metal plate on either side which had a name on it,
    if it's not stamped somewhere on the barrel or breech. I've also scanned
    the net and a couple of books but have not found it as yet.

Looks very familiar to me though, with the swing-out breech and the ribs
    on the underside of the trigger guard strap - which are unique features
    that stand out from other CW carbines.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 02-02-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

The trigger guard and tang that runs down to the sling swivel looks very like the m1833 Hall-North carbine but the rest of it doesn't match that type-I'm thinking it may have been assembled from a variety of different parts either as a functioning weapon or as some sort of a 'wallhanger' trophy piece.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast