MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

American Civil War Musket?

Article about: Hi giz, I have looked at the Maynard Carbines and they are different to what you show, the Maynard has no wood stock going under and housing the body block. Also the trigger guard is far dif

Default American Civil War Musket?

Hello, all!

A teacher that I work with approached me with this musket. I am not really interested in American Civil War militaria, so I passed on it and agreed to help her identify it/ give her an idea of the value of it so she doesn't get ripped off if she decides to sell it.

I know it's in rough shape, but could anyone be so kind as to help us identify it/ put a value on it?

I am not really knowledgeable when it comes to pre-WWII militaria, so I'm posting the pictures here. Please help!

American Civil War Musket?American Civil War Musket?American Civil War Musket?American Civil War Musket?American Civil War Musket?American Civil War Musket?American Civil War Musket?American Civil War Musket?

Default Re: American Civil War Musket?

Well Giz, I looked through my rifle books and it doesn't match anything I could find. It's certainly not one of the two most used, a Sharps or Spenser. Both sides used over 4 dozen different types of carbines during the war. Weird lug on barrel and saddle ring. Definitely some kind of carbine. Don't know if it's period engraving but if you didn't already know, "that there sketching" on the side probably was meant to stand for the 4th Virginia Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, Company D. Company D was know as the Little Fork Rangers. Hopefully some of our civil war boys can help you out. Andrew would probably know. This unit fought at all the major battles.

Jay

A picture of the whole carbine would help.

I appreciate it Jay, thanks! Both I and the woman I work with know nothing about this... Someone offered her $50 for it (person made it out to be like he was doing her a favor...). Any additional info would be immensely appreciated!

Quote by Gordon123 View Post
    A picture of the whole carbine would help.
    I'll ask her tomorrow for a complete picture, thanks!

If it is a US Civil War piece and a rare type of carbine used by a named Confederate unit the value would be more like 50-100 x $50-don't let your friend get scammed!

PS Looking at various carbines, the nearest match to the mechanism would be the Maynard carbine but the weapon may well have had repairs/alterations done over the years.
    Last edited by lithgow; 02-01-2012 at 05:12 AM.

It could be a personal firearm belonging to the soldier. Sometimes soldiers in specialty units (ex: cavalry, sharpshooters, etc) would carry their own firearms from home. They trusted their firearms and were very handy with them. This was also easier to do when you had a horse to pack it on. I don't recognize this weapon, but it could be an interesting piece if determined to be an original American Civil War period weapon.

I would buy it, you could even mount it on a board for a display piece, if she sells it cheap you better grab it

it looks very unique / rare

could even b e a battle damaged piece from the battle field

Seems to be missing a quite substantial section beneath the hammer above the trigger assembly -possible battle damage?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi Giz,
    im very interested in old weapons but have never seen this type before, but would love to know what exactly it is.
    Do you know how much it is going for.
    dave.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast