Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone know where this revolver is from and/or what it's called?

Article about: My grandfather brought this revolver home along after the war and I have tried to figure out where it is from or what it is. My best guess is either Italian or French but not sure .http://ww

ubersailer
    ?

Default Anyone know where this revolver is from and/or what it's called?

My grandfather brought this revolver home along after the war and I have tried to figure out where it is from or what it is. My best guess is either Italian or French but not sure

.https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...0&d=1323058891
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone know where this revolver is from and/or what it's called?  

Default Re: Anyone know where this revolver is from and/or what it's called?

It looks like a mid-19th century pin fire. I think I'm seeing a small notch for the pin in the rear of the cylinder opposite each chamber.

Original French design, I believe, but most I've seen were made in Belgium (Liege).

Pat

I have one like this, It's a laRousche pin fire. very popular with both the Northern and Southern officers in the US Civil War 1861-1865. The problem with yours is the pantina is no where close to that era. It has either been polished / plated or a repro. Too bad if it'sd a real one and someone polished it up. BTW it's aFrench design as far as I know. The French sold weapons to both the North and South during the war.

Hello Ubersailer, and welcome to the Forum !

I agree with the above comments. A Belgian pin-fire. I owned one quite a few
    years ago. It has been polished, as suggested, and is a small caliber - likely
    .32 ( or whatever the European equivalent is ) The trigger folds up to
    prevent the gun from catching on a pocket or other piece of clothing
    but larger pistols of this type will have a triggerguard.

There should be several proofmarks within an oval on the frame
    somewhere near the cylinder or on the barrel, unless they
    were obliterated in the polishing/refinishing process.
    Regards,

Steve.

ubersailer
    ?

Thanks for the info. I looked up some more armed with more information you gave me and you guys seem spot on. Lefaucheux made in Belgium, pinfire, made between 1858 and 1865 I believe. I think the flash on from the camera on my phone makes it look a lot more polished than it really is. It does not appear to be polished to me. There were a couple of swords and a bayonet in the collection however that were clearly steel-wooled. Sad. It was probably my grandpa's doing.