Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Arisaka Rifle

Article about: Hi everyone, just got this deactivated 6.5mm Japanese Arisaka type 38 rifle. It is shown here with a replica sling and original accessories. For those not familiar with these rifles, this wa

Default Arisaka Rifle

Hi everyone, just got this deactivated 6.5mm Japanese Arisaka type 38 rifle. It is shown here with a replica sling and original accessories.

For those not familiar with these rifles, this was the standard Japanese service rifle of the Imperial Japanese Army (and Naval forces) during the war in China in the 30's and was one of two widely used service rifles during WW2, along with the larger caliber Type 99.

Any comments welcome. Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arisaka Rifle   Arisaka Rifle  

Arisaka Rifle   Arisaka Rifle  

Arisaka Rifle   Arisaka Rifle  

How is it deactivated? I'm guessing the two holes drilled in the receiver area? NH

Hi Neil, no the receiver holes are part of the original design (they are gas escape holes in the event of a ruptured case). As you may be aware, in the U.K. firearms are very strictly controlled, (in many cases deactivated weapons are the only kind available) and they have to be deactivated to specific standards and issued a certificate of deactivation. This involves cutting a hole in the chamber (underneath and not visible) blocking the barrel, removing the firing pin and cutting off the end of the bolt.

Arisakas are also very much more expensive in Britain than in the U.S.

Thanks for the info. I was aware there were strict laws in the U.K. What do they cost generally speaking? Here in the US you can get an intact example in the 300 to 500 range depending upon condition and markings. Here is a photo of my Arisaka. Your example displays quite nicely. NH

Arisaka Rifle

?

I find japanese militaria more and more interesting. This is a good looking rifle Sir

I paid £650 ($1000) for this one. They generally cost anywhere between £550-£900 ($790-$1400) in the UK. Neil, your rifle looks good. Presumably its a Type 99?

?

A Great looking school rifle. I have one in my collection.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Yes, the '0's around the Imperial Chrysanthemum donote that the rifle was removed from service prior to 1945. The most common reason for this was for to teach shooting in schools. Some were also purchased by foreign governments for evaluation I understand.

?

Mine actually is still a great shooter. I used to shoot it quite often when I picked it up from a vet almost 40 ago. Then 6.5 ammo got very scarce and I have not shot it in a while. But I was just able to pick some up (reloads) for an outstanding price.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    A Great looking school rifle. I have one in my collection.
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Interesting...I thought the "0" were just a poor attempt to scratch out the Chrysanthemum vs. the more typical "ground" Mum method.

I have one of these and as noted just thought it was a ground mum....

Thanks!

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast