MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arisaka type 38 rifle............... I believe

Article about: Is the buckle missing from the sling? They were not secured by sewing and can come off. Japanese slings are rare and delicate. Do not treat it. It is worth \\$150+ with buckle. This rifle is a

gratdlz4u
    ?

Default Arisaka type 38 rifle............... I believe

Arisaka type 38 rifle............... I believeArisaka type 38 rifle............... I believeArisaka type 38 rifle............... I believeArisaka type 38 rifle............... I believeArisaka type 38 rifle............... I believeArisaka type 38 rifle............... I believeArisaka type 38 rifle............... I believeArisaka type 38 rifle............... I believeArisaka type 38 rifle............... I believeArisaka type 38 rifle............... I believe

I got this Arisaka rifle out of a moving storage unit. It was in this old canvas case. It appears that the sling on it is original. It still has the chrysanthemum symbol stamped on the receiver. I have included some pics. I believe it is a type 38, series 23 from the Kokura arsenal. I am not sure. This is based on what I have found on the internet. Any input as to whether I am correct on it's type and series as well as the canvas case would be helpful. Also, would anyone be willing to give me an estimate on how much it is approximately worth, as I will be selling it? Thanks.

Default Re: Arisaka type 38 rifle............... I believe

From what I see, you do indeed have a series 23 type 38. It may be your camera, but it looks as though much of the bluing is gone. Doesn't appear to have more than a couple of spots of rust. It still has the Mum, dust cover, and cleaning rod, which is a plus as well - the covers and cleaning rods are absent from many rifles. I don't know much about slings, but check for any kanji and it might help. Could you get a nice clear picture of the bore? All in all I think that is a very nice and well kept piece.

-maybe someone with more gun knowledge could answer this. I'm looking at the bust in the stock, and it looks as though the edges have been sanded a little....maybe even refinished?

If you're talking about the butt stock, that's not a repair it's how they were made-could well have been sanded though as most rifles were subject to rough handling after capture-as I said on another T38 thread the Allied forces weren't interested in reusing them just getting them out of the way.

You do indeed have a Japanese Type 38 rifle. It has it's chrysanthemum intact and cleaning rod, which are a plus.

Another major factor in it's value will be whether or not all the serial numbers match. Your serial number appears to be: 68400... check for the last four digits of your serial number on the back of the dust cover, the underside of the bolt handle, and at the base of the magazine follower. There are a few other spots where serial numbers will be hiding, but these are the ones that easily come to mind for me.

The split in the stock is normal... that's how they were made at the arsenal. As the stock ages and dries out, that split will widen... If the stock is taken care of, it'll be fine.

An easy way to tell if the stock has been sanded is to look for two Japanese Kanji characters infront of and behind of the rear sling mount on the butt stock. If they are there, the stock hasn't been sanded (at least in that area...). If the Kanji is missing, you can be sure that the stock was sanded.

Unfortunately, T38 rifles are not as desirable/ valuable as T99 rifles... mostly because the T99 has so many gadgets on it (monopod, anti-aircraft sight, etc.). Your best bet for figuring out how much your rifle is worth is to check the things I listed and then match the condition of your rifle to a Type 38 in the same condition being sold on Gunbrokers.com

For your rifle to be worth the most, it needs:
    good bore
    intact 'mum
    matching serial numbers
    unsanded stock
    original sling

If that canvas bag is Japanese issue... it may be worth a pretty penny...

Also, your sling is attached improperly. I found a tutorial somewhere to attach it correctly... it's VERY easy.

Here are some pics of things to look for (places where the serial number are hiding, and the Kanji characters on the stock):

Here is tutorial for attaching the sling:
    Picture 3 of 10 from Arisaka Sling Installation

Should be worth $400 to 500 if all matching. It looks in good shape. Caliber should be 6.5 I believe. Friend had a type 99 years back and caliber was 7.7 If bore is in good shape it should make a good shooter. Good Luck

Yes, the type 38 was 6.5 caliber, the Japanese got these from the Italians.

Beautiful rifle!

Stinkpotpete-the Arisaka rifles have nothing to do with the Carcanos-different designs and the 6.5mm rounds are different , Italian 6.5 x 52mm and Japanese 6.5 x 51mm- the Arisaka is based on the Spanish M1893 Mauser. Italy did produce some Arisaka T38/Carcano hybrid rifles for export to Japan in the 1930s but the numbers were relatively small.

My mistake, I looked, and I found out the carcano made rifles are referred to as Type I, and look like what you would expect to come from a union if you left a carcano and arisaka in a closet overnight. Neat looking rifles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast