Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Australian 303 Rifle

Article about: Hi Fellas, I have a 1943 Lithgow SMLE III* My Question is,Is there a Data base or register of serial numbers anywhere. Im just wondering if its possible to track a rifle,from its manufacture

Default Australian 303 Rifle

Hi Fellas,
    I have a 1943 Lithgow SMLE III*
    My Question is,Is there a Data base or register of serial numbers anywhere.
    Im just wondering if its possible to track a rifle,from its manufacture to issue and finally decommission.
    Cheers Mick

Default Re: Australian 303 Rifle

No idea, well at least I have never heard of one anyways. I am sure an LE collector will chime in eventually

Jason

Theres no records of for individual guns but the gun itself maybe able to give you some idea of where its been during its life, just look at the markings and research what they are.

Gday Mick,
    You may find something re it's manufacture at the Lithgow Small Arms Factory Museum in Lithgow.
    Lithgow Tourism Information - Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Hope this helps mate.

Slightly off topic but the 303 I had in cadets up in Rocky in 1983 was stamped 1916. Wish I could have somehow kept that old jigga, I remember it was mighty heavy for a 15yr old as I was.

Hi Mick,
    I know there is a Lee Enfield Forum you may be able to get the info you need there, i think they are the best to ask if you cant get your answers here. There is also good books by Skip Statton & Ian Skennerton that cover them.
    hope this helps.
    Dave.

4md
    ?

gday mick, a 1943 lithgow should have a E prefix in front of the serial number, the e prefix started in 1942 and ended 1944. If the barrel is original it should have a date around this time as well. your rifle was probably assembled in the orange factory near lithgow, with markings OA on most of the parts.but there could be other markings as well as it could have other factory parts as well eg, BA- bathurst, MA- lithgow, FA- Forbes, WA- Wellington.
    the furniture will be marked SLAZ for slazenger
    there was 138700 rifles made in 42-43 and 116200 rifles made in 43-44, unfortunately i dont think there is any way of telling what unit war time rifles were issued to as they are not usually marked like earlier rifles.
    the photo is of my 1942 lithgow, OA IS stamped on the site protector.I dont know of any lithgow serial number data base

you may be able to track what happened to it by looking at the rifle
    for example if its got a peep site and the rear site removed it was probably used post war as a range rifle....if it looks all original with matching serial numbers on all the parts and in great condition it may have sat in storage
    i hope this helps a bit
    regards Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian 303 Rifle  
    Last edited by 4md; 03-18-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Hi Paul,
    i knew someone would have some info on it, thanks for putting your pic up, can you show some more of your rifle they are great rifles. i have two in my collection.
    Dave.

4md
    ?

hopefully you can post some pics mick, and you Dave as well, i never get tired of looking at lee enfields
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian 303 Rifle  

Hi,
    Here are two of my Enfields one 1914 and the other 1918, both nice rifles, these are my oldest ones. I do have others from W.W.2, one Fazakerley, Long Branch
    and B.S.A, hope you like them.
    dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian 303 Rifle   Australian 303 Rifle  

Australian 303 Rifle   Australian 303 Rifle  

Australian 303 Rifle   Australian 303 Rifle  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast