Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bought an old Webley MkI

Article about: I see what you mean by expensive ! I'll keep an eye out locally.

?

Default Bought an old Webley MkI

I paid a lot of money for this but it was something I wanted, I have always liked Webley revolvers and could not resist it. The fact that it's classed as antique and does not appear on any goverment data base makes it feel nice and warm. It has it's original finish but the screws were buggered. I managed to restore the worst of them without losing the proof marks , there are proof marks all over this thing. I think the arrow on the top strap shows that this was a Navy gun. I ordered 100 .455 cases and a british web holster but will have to wait till next week before they arrive. Can hardly wait to shoot it.

Default Re: Bought an old Webley MkI

Very nice 'Bird's Head' Webley, Mick !

It looks to be in excellent shape !

Question: How could it be classified as 'antique' when it is able to fire relatively
    modern center-fire ammunition - is this because of where you live ?

In Canada, only flintlocks, pin-fire, percussion and 'Dewat' guns are considered
    antiques with no need for licensing.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Very nice 'Bird's Head' Webley, Mick !

It looks to be in excellent shape !

Question: How could it be classified as 'antique' when it is able to fire relatively
    modern center-fire ammunition - is this because of where you live ?

In Canada, only flintlocks, pin-fire, percussion and 'Dewat' guns are considered
    antiques with no need for licensing.
    Where have you been Dave ? It's classed as an antique in Canada because it made prior to 1898, it's a prescribed antique. No licence required to posess, anyone can own it.

Antique Firearms

Antique Firearms
    Fact Sheet
    If you own or wish to acquire an antique firearm, here is some information you should know about how the Firearms Act applies to firearms that meet the definition of an antique, as set out in the Criminal Code and the Criminal Code Regulations.

The Definition of an Antique
    The Criminal Code defines antique firearms as:

firearms manufactured before 1898 that were not designed or re-designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition, or
    firearms prescribed as antique firearms in the Criminal Code regulations. These are:
    Black Powder Reproductions:
    of flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearms, other than handguns, manufactured after 1897; (All other reproductions must be registered and owners must have a firearm licence to possess them. For example, reproductions of percussion cap muzzle-loading firearms like American Civil War Enfield and Springfield rifles will be considered firearms and not antiques.)

Rifles:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
    manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges (whether with a smooth or rifled bore), have a bore diameter of 8.3 mm or greater, measured from land to land in the case of a rifled bore, with the exception of a repeating firearm fed by any type of cartridge magazine
    Shotguns:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
    manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, or 410 gauge cartridges
    Handguns:

manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson; 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges

Top of PageLicensing and Registration Requirements
    If you own only antique firearms you do not need to:

get a firearms licence; or
    register any of your antique firearms.
    Selling Antique Firearms
    There are no restrictions on selling, buying, bartering or giving away your antique firearms.

Safety Regulations
    Under the Firearms Act, antique firearms must be stored, displayed and transported unloaded.

If you are transporting your antique firearms and need to leave them unattended*, leave them in your vehicle’s locked trunk or similar compartment. If your vehicle does not have a trunk or compartment, lock the vehicle and leave the antique firearms inside and out of sight.

Antique handguns must be locked in a heavy-duty, non-see-through container that cannot be easily broken open during transportation.

* Unattended means a vehicle that is not under the direct and immediate supervision of an adult (18 years of age or older) or a minor (with a minor’s licence).

That slays me !
    It is really on the fringe ! No mention of .455 there at all !

If it were a tiny .22 it would require registration and a license !

What year was your Webley made ?
    I know the model year is 1887.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    That slays me !
    It is really on the fringe ! No mention of .455 there at all !

If it were a tiny .22 it would require registration and a license !

What year was your Webley made ?
    I know the model year is 1887.

No mention of 45acp or 44 special etc etc either.

My MkI was made in 1890. MkI's II's and III's are to the best of my knowledge all made before 1898.

There may be other things that come into play, like velocity and the fact
    that it handles modern 'cartridge' ammo. There are vague loopholes
    that may get you into serious trouble.

I'd be wary of who I showed it to........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Read the law. There is no mention of velocities or modern ammunition.

If I were not 100% certain that it was legit I would not have bought it as an unregistered gun, and I would not be posting pictures of it here for all to see.

Just for the record, I am an approved RCMP fireams verrifier and firearms manufacturer.

?

As a point of interest the big screw at the front of the wings is dished (if that's the right word ). It's designed to be removed with a coin rather than a screwdriver. I would never have noticed if If the screws had not been buggered. The cylinder can be withdrawn when the screw is removed.

Mick, it is a really great piece.

I now have to find one for myself................!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

There are quite a few for sale in the US, and the dealers know there is no problem shipping them to Canada. If you buy one there you can be guaranteed to get your money back and more if you sell it here.

Here's a MkIII advertised as Canada OK

Webley Mk III .455 Canada OK Nice Bore NO RESERVE : Antiques / pre-1899 at GunBroker.com

Interstingly he also has a MkI one the same as mine but shaved for .45acp which will lower the value a bit.

Webley Mark 1 ANTIQUE .45acp Rare Navy Mdl NITRO : Antiques / pre-1899 at GunBroker.com

I was searching to find out what the 2P proof marks at the back of every chamber stood for, he claims they are nitro proof markings as I was hoping they would be. This makes me very happy.

Another thing that pleases me is that it is not stamped England. From what I can make out it was a reqirement of American import regulations that guns imported from abroad were marked this way. Mine was either imported to the US by a dealer before these regulations came into place or it was brought over as someones personal property. Either way it is an unmessed with original British Navy Webley MkI.
    Last edited by Mick; 09-05-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast