Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bren Gun Identification

Article about: I thought it might be usefull, to post some pictures and information on the different marks of Bren gun and the spare barrel holder and spares wallet. This first gun is a 1938 Mk1.It has the

Default Re: Bren Gun Identification

Its not my knowledge, its just stuff I've learnt from people like Peter Laidler and Kev Groom, they are the real Bren gurus. I have very little knowledge of my own to give, I'm finding out new info from serial number, i.e. variations and numbers of. But thats about it.

I have very recently discovered somthing that has never been published before about the STEN gun. Its really trivial but to a STEN collector its another bit of info. that is that the STEN Mk1 Butt (Butt STEN No2. Mk1) was produced by Unique and Unitly cycle (Marked U&U), They then went on to produce the STEN Mk2 and Mk3 Butt (Butt STEN No2. Mk2). Previously it has never been record (AFAIK) that U&U produced the No.2 Mk1 butt, and they must have been making them along side the No.2 Mk2 butt as I recently sold an example of a No.2 Mk1 butt with the U&U logo and I have an example of a No.2 Mk1 butt, also with the U&U logo. The latter butt used the Mk1 abutment plate (a Casting), modified by grinding off the bottom tube lug. Now I know some will say that they probably just used up existing stock of Mk1 parts, but I also have a Mk1 butt which has the wartime code M255 which was used to replace the U&U logo, later in the war, so the butts were produced along side each other, along with guns.

Do you have a collection of Stens ?? Thats next on my list !

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Do you have a collection of Stens ?? Thats next on my list !

A small collection, but I'm slowly expanding it, its nothing like the Bren collection. I've a STEN MkI (Genuine, not one of the repro deacts), a Finnish converted Fazackerly MkII, 2 standard Fazackerly MkII, a MkIII, a Theale MkV and a Long Branch Mk2 converted in China to fire the 7.62mm Tokerev cartridge.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    A small collection, but I'm slowly expanding it, its nothing like the Bren collection. I've a STEN MkI (Genuine, not one of the repro deacts), a Finnish converted Fazackerly MkII, 2 standard Fazackerly MkII, a MkIII, a Theale MkV and a Long Branch Mk2 converted in China to fire the 7.62mm Tokerev cartridge.
    Nice one Mr Bobby !! whats your name by the way ! lol

maybe start thread so we can have a look, i am very interested in them !

Cheers
    Martin

Quote by Dutchie View Post
    That's mostly why I posted on here. I don't know what make my tri pod is. I was hopping for CCM as my BREN is a Inglis 1943 built in Toronto.
    What you need to do is remove any paint around the AA leg fitting area, from what I have seen, this area was left in the white or had a chemical finish to maintain the close fitting of the AA leg/SMLE. They were then oiled which helped with the fitting/removal of the AA/SMLE.

This 1938 BSA Mk1 tripod was buried in 1940 and recovered in the 1990s, it hasn't done so badly after 50 years in soil/sand.

Bren Gun Identification

Bren Gun Identification

What an excellent thread - fantastic Bren and Bren tripod reference.

So cool to see the 100 round mag in place.
    (Are these deacts or NFA guns?)

M3hobby - please do post a Sten pic thread, would love to see your collection.

I have been collecting reference pics/photos of the Lafette being used - glad to see I am not the only person who has this affliction in some form or another.

I have the Zb26t with waffen marks - will add a Bren someday - I had a ZB30 Kit Turkish markings but traded it for a really nice Ac P38.
    This series is a marvelous looking and historic example of weaponry.
    The first MG I shot was the L4A1 - many, many years and miles ago.

Really nice stuff guys, thank you,

Pit.

Bren Gun Identification

Another Tripod Pic

Bren Gun Identification

Armourers of No. 3201 Servicing Commando work from improvised cover by the perimeter track at Comiso, Sicily.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast