Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bren Gun MK1 stock/butt retro fit.

Article about: I've recently decided to look for a Mk1 butt for my BREN Mk1 m, as it's fitted with a MK2 butt. I am not sure if that's acceptable , but i personally hate the look of it. I know MK1 butts ar

Default Bren Gun MK1 stock/butt retro fit.

I've recently decided to look for a Mk1 butt for my BREN Mk1 m, as it's fitted with a MK2 butt. I am not sure if that's acceptable , but i personally hate the look of it. I know MK1 butts are hard to come by, and probably fetch hefty prices when they seldom do. Being on a budget i decided out of curiosity to see how a MK1 butt matched up to a MK2 to see if anything could be done. Looking at the pair together, i noticed that there was more than enough material in the Mk2 butt to make a Mk1 butt of sorts. I roughly removed excess wood from the upper rear of the butt with a saw and then shaped and sanded the 'hump' to shape. At the moment it is still sporting the MK2 hardware, and will eventually have a 90% Mk1 fit save the insides. I have checked the availability of parts which are available. I still have a bit of fetling to do, and will reshape the lower when i get the MK1 tripod mounting point. Please feel free to comment. Regards, Scott.Bren Gun MK1 stock/butt retro fit.

ian
    ?

Default Re: Bren Gun MK1 stock/butt retro fit.

theres a mk1 butt on ebay
    cheep have a look you may be lucky
    cheers ian

ps all the metal is on ebay also

colectables/militaria/bren

Hello Ian. I've seen that on ebay today, but i bet it'll go for a loads of money. I need money to buy a butt spoon for my Enfield Mk1, which will then donate it's butt plate to this project. It'll then cost me about 40 quid or so to buy the Mk1 sling mount and tripod mount. That's the plan anyway. Many thanks and regards, Scott.

Hello all, I took the plunge today of cutting the recess for the tripod bracket on my MK2 to Mk1 butt project. This is quite difficult but worth the effort. There are about seven different dimensions to consider which can tax the mind a bit. I have a MK1 Bren to compare this to and also used the Mk1 tripod bracket for trial fitting until i got it just about right. All along i have used ordinary household tools and a dremel. I guess i have proved that you can re-manufacture a Mk2 butt back to a Mk1 quite easily, so hopefully this will be inspiration to others. As you can see, i now have to get rid of the recess for the MK2 sling swivel which i guess i will plug with walnut and shape to suit, or i might fit a butt disc and relocate the MK1 swivel further back. I have done copious amounts of sanding and shaping and think i've just about done it. Please feel free to comment, Regards, Scott.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bren Gun MK1 stock/butt retro fit.