Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bren Gun script

Article about: Hello everybody. This will be my first post on this interesting forum, so here goes. I have a 1940 Enfield made Bren MK1 double dovetail in really nice original condition. I have owned quite

Default Re: Bren Gun script

Hi Scott, A3455 on a 1942 tripod would make it a AGE tripod which stands for Australin General Electric. The AWE logo is found on most of AGE tripods. The AWE will have the A & E in the top of the W and under the W will be a small broad arrow. further right of the AWE will the AGE marking. Thanks for the number, I've added it to the list, it appears to be a mid 1942 product judging from my limited AGE records.

Default Re: Bren Gun script

Quote by Scott1975 View Post
    Hi Chris. Just out of interest, here is a Mk1 DD that i owned breifly about 18 months ago. It was odd in that it wasn't dated, but had a machined square where the date etc should be. I hadn't noted the serial on this one sorry. Regards, Scott.

Hi Scott, When did you post this post? I've just had a email saying you've just posted it but the thread is showing it as being posted on the 7th of June, and it wasn't there last time I replied. V bizarre!!

Anyway, to answer your question, the square is where the original crown and date have been milled away. There are a number of theories about the reason but it appears to have been carried out in Greece quite a while ago. I've had and seen a number of these Brens, and they all have new stamped serial numbers and all markings removed except for the Bren Mk1, or Mk1 marking in the case of the later Enfield guns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12