Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bren Guns

Article about: Ok, First one, I know the seller but I'm impartial. The body is in very nice condition, lots of blue remaining, 1941 dated so early, nice adjustable bipod but can't tell if its Inglis or Enf

Default Re: Bren Guns

Ok, First one, I know the seller but I'm impartial. The body is in very nice condition, lots of blue remaining, 1941 dated so early, nice adjustable bipod but can't tell if its Inglis or Enfield. The cocking handle is wrong, but don't worry as the one fitted is the early Enfield type (I could do a swap for a JI example and give you a fiver on top as one of mine needs one). The mag catch is a Mk2, the lower is non original to that gun and could be Enfield made, the barrel nut has had all the markings ground off but the Mk1 butt looks decent (Has some BSA parts fitted). The asking price pretty much reflects what's there but you can always try negotiating on that!

The Mk2 is a bit of a problem, I'll start with the lower being from a Mk1 not a Mk2 and the bipod is of a British Daimler type not the Inglis type. Next, the missing parts, the mag catch looks to be missing, the change lever definitely is missing and forsight protector is missing/broken. Those mssing parts will set you back about £30 by ebay prices, I'd also ask why the carry handle is bent back in that position, it suggests to me that something has broken as it should lock higher up than that.

I don't want to put a downer on things I just thought I'd throw all the comments at you and let you decide. Bare in mind that these guns are 70 years old and the mixing of parts is common place, a matching original could set you back lots but they are out there.

The first pics show matching numbers be nice if guts are matching/

Quote by DONBOGEN View Post
    The first pics show matching numbers be nice if guts are matching/
    The parts are what is known as force matched, i.e. a replacement part from another gun has had the original number removed and the new number applied. The barrel nut shows the typical renumbering, large and messy, the correct type should be much smaller and uniform. Also the lower slide doesn't show the serial number but from the photo I can see an original number has been ground off ready for the forced matching number. Co-incidentally in British service, weapons never had the original number removed, they barred through the number and applied the new number next to it.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Ok, First one, I know the seller but I'm impartial. The body is in very nice condition, lots of blue remaining, 1941 dated so early, nice adjustable bipod but can't tell if its Inglis or Enfield. The cocking handle is wrong, but don't worry as the one fitted is the early Enfield type (I could do a swap for a JI example and give you a fiver on top as one of mine needs one). The mag catch is a Mk2, the lower is non original to that gun and could be Enfield made, the barrel nut has had all the markings ground off but the Mk1 butt looks decent (Has some BSA parts fitted). The asking price pretty much reflects what's there but you can always try negotiating on that!

The Mk2 is a bit of a problem, I'll start with the lower being from a Mk1 not a Mk2 and the bipod is of a British Daimler type not the Inglis type. Next, the missing parts, the mag catch looks to be missing, the change lever definitely is missing and forsight protector is missing/broken. Those mssing parts will set you back about £30 by ebay prices, I'd also ask why the carry handle is bent back in that position, it suggests to me that something has broken as it should lock higher up than that.

I don't want to put a downer on things I just thought I'd throw all the comments at you and let you decide. Bare in mind that these guns are 70 years old and the mixing of parts is common place, a matching original could set you back lots but they are out there.
    Bloody hell, you know your Brens mate

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Bloody hell, you know your Brens mate
    Yep, he certainly does!

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Let me know if it is, Sal is the owner and he may do a deal, it was for sale 6 months back for £50 less so he may be open to offers. I may also have a section that could be added to fix the cut.
    Yes it is Sal the owner, where is the cut?

Cheers
    Ben

Many thanks for the input guys, Mmmm now what to do, buy one opf these or be patient and wait for a better one Mmmm!!!
    Ben

BTW Bobby, sent you a PM
    Ben

Another couple, 1st description:

his Bren was made by Inglis in Canada in 1942. It is in used condition. It has the letters IORA on the buttstock, we have no idea of the significance of this? It has all the correct MK1m parts and is not cobbled together from workshop 'bits' like some on the market.
    This deactivated Bren cocks and dry fires, it strips down (except barrel) it is legal to own without a firearms certificate and comes with its 30 round magazine, bipod and deactivation certificate.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bren Guns   Bren Guns  

Bren Guns  
    Ben

Another

This Bren was made by Lithgow in Australia in 1942. It is in great condition throughout. This deactivated Bren cocks and dry fires, it strips down (except barrel) it is legal to own without a firearms certificate and comes with its 30 round magazine, bipod and deactivation certificate.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bren Guns   Bren Guns  

Attached Images Attached Images Bren Guns 
    Ben

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast