Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4

Article about: Hello all, Just thought I'd post pictures of my new deacts. I bought these yesterday at the Liverpool Arms Fair. BREN GUN MK1 I paid £280 for this. It was deactivated in 2004. I'm not sure w

Default Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4

Hello all,

Just thought I'd post pictures of my new deacts. I bought these yesterday at the Liverpool Arms Fair.

BREN GUN MK1
    I paid £280 for this. It was deactivated in 2004. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is, perhaps one of the gun experts can help me out with that.

LEE ENFIELD NO4
    I paid £200 for this. It has only just been deactivated (Nov 09) Again I'm not to sure of the maker, some of the markings are very faint. One of my mates thinks it may have been a sniper or sharpshooter rifle due to the sight and the swivel sling.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4   Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4  

Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4   Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4  

Default Re: Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4

Hi Lee,
    lovely old bren i love em, i have an Mk1 canadian Inglis 1942,
    I cant help you with the maker but im sure one of the others will have an idea, I will look for it though,. the No 4 is a nice rifle
    i would like to collect enfields but it the room to keep them.
    wel done on your buy,s can you put up a pic of your other rifle.
    Dave.k

Hi Dave,

The other rifle is a German K98. It's one of the Russian mis-matches, and although it's not as 'clean' as the No.4, it's still a lovely gun.

I'm just uploading some pics now mate.

Cheers,
    Lee

My Mauser k98
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4   Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4  

Hi,
    the Bren is Enfield made, an E witin a D. The rifle from what I can see is a No4Mk1, as it has a bolt release catch.I can see a small B on the leaf sight, B.S.A.
    so I wonder if this is a Shirley manufactured rifle.The sling swivel is the type fitted to sniper rifles, later in the war, but this rifle does not have any of the obvious tell tale marks, could you post a couple of pictures of any other marks? Can you see a TR mark on it ? The Mauser looks just great to me,
    Pete.

Hi Lee,
    Nice k98, it is in good condition to, I have one dated 1940 it,s a pitty they are deac really but our laws are very strict arnt they.
    thanks for showing it.
    dave

Quote by phoenix View Post
    Hi,
    the Bren is Enfield made, an E witin a D. The rifle from what I can see is a No4Mk1, as it has a bolt release catch.I can see a small B on the leaf sight, B.S.A.
    so I wonder if this is a Shirley manufactured rifle.The sling swivel is the type fitted to sniper rifles, later in the war, but this rifle does not have any of the obvious tell tale marks, could you post a couple of pictures of any other marks? Can you see a TR mark on it ? The Mauser looks just great to me,
    Pete.
    Hi Pete. The butt of the No4 looks like its been altered! I dont know how relevent this is. There's also a few more markings that I didnt notice before..

You can just about make out 'No.4 MkI, and next to that it looks like there are a couple more letters, although it is VERY faint. looks like an R O and maybe a B or P

Theres also a crown stamp on the stock near the trigger, and the number 48 underneath it.

I'm also wondering if theres a couple of letters stamped onto the butt.

Sorry to be so vague mate. Thanks very much for your help

Lee

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi Lee,
    Nice k98, it is in good condition to, I have one dated 1940 it,s a pitty they are deac really but our laws are very strict arnt they.
    thanks for showing it.
    dave
    No probs mate! The No.4 has only been deactivated for a couple of weeks!!! Its very tantilising knowing it was a live firer less than a month ago!!

I'm seriously considering joining a gun club, and applying for a gun licence. You can pick up a 'live' Lee Enfield for less than £400. I wanna shot one of these babys so much!!

Hi Lee,
    the mystery is solved, the lettering on the side of the receiver is the giveaway, as it is electro pencilled.This method was only carried out at one place, Royal Ordnance Factor (ROF) Fazakerley, so this is where this gun was manufactured.The butt, just looks like the standard sort of repair the army would have done, It would not be to hard to pick up another butt to match the gun.The crown and 48 are the inspectors mark,
    hope this helps Pete.

Pete, your a star mate!

One final thing. Would the '48' under the crown be the year of manufacture?

Many thanks,
    Lee

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast