Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Homeguard Thompson case

Article about: This is a British Homeguard case used to carry the Thompson submachine gun, drum magazines, 20 round stick magazines, parts, the stock and the sling. The soldier would take this weapon home

Default British Homeguard Thompson case

This is a British Homeguard case used to carry the Thompson submachine gun, drum magazines, 20 round stick magazines, parts, the stock and the sling. The soldier would take this weapon home and to the field.

The two 20 round magazines pictured are actual british mags...as they have been filled with nickel. The British did this in the desert to keep out sand.

The parkerized magazine is very interesting as it is an early patent date mag built for the colt 1921 thompson. It has the patent date numbers denoting its early manufacture. Then...somehow it found its way to lendlease and ended up with the British as you can see the nickel remains. Last it displays the Star of David as it served the Jews and thier fight for independence.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Homeguard Thompson case   British Homeguard Thompson case  

British Homeguard Thompson case   British Homeguard Thompson case  

British Homeguard Thompson case   British Homeguard Thompson case  

Default Re: British Homeguard Thompson case

Very interesting and a superb example. I never knew about filling the mag holes.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Superb example. Very nice indeed.

They also filled the mag holes on Sten mags as well didn't they ?

Hi,
    thanks for showing it, they look great in the boxed condition, i wonder how many there are still in houses that have never been seen for many years, Iknow of two enfields that were left in houses after the war.
    Dave.

Very nice, I love cased weapons I had an M1A1 Thompson a little while ago but they are rough as toast compared to these early versions. And 3 drum mags! Lucky boy.

?

A great find in great condition and with all the goodies to go with it.

A great example of an iconic weapon, good find.

?

A beautiful thing.

And I asume not 'mutilated' in any way, as its in Alabama?

That is correct...this weapon is a british lend lease thompson brought back after the war for resale. It has all the british markings for acceptance as well as the sling changes. The British moved the sling from under the stock to above it and mounted the sling to the side of the forward grip on both the horizontal and vertical grip. This was a standard practice but Thompson weapons in British service can be seen with sling mounts the standard American way as well.

?

Thanks for info.
    Great to hear, that it has not been neutered

Interesting about the sling. I didnt even notice that at first and had to go back and look. That looks exceedingly daft with the sling mount at the top of the stock.
    Amazing that they bothered with a detail like that.

Super detail about the filling of the holes in the mags. Hadnt heard about them doing that either. But at least that one makes sense.

I vividly remember the first time I picked up one of these; dang, they are heavy. On the plusside a decent caliber and steady hold because of said weight.
    One the other side, I can understand why some soldiers preferred the M1 carbine in caliber .30 for jungle warfare instead of carrying around the Thompson. Okay, so the carbine has a puny caliber but at least you can carry it around all day uphill in the jungle along with a certain amount of ammo. I guess, they just had to fire a few more shots.

Thanks for posting.