Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Mk I Portative On Heavy Tripod

Article about: This is a standard Portative Mk I. However is is mounted on a tripod that no one in my shooting circle has ever seen. We researched it but found nothing that even comes close to the mount. I

?

Default British Mk I Portative On Heavy Tripod

This is a standard Portative Mk I. However is is mounted on a tripod that no one in my shooting circle has ever seen. We researched it but found nothing that even comes close to the mount. It uses part of the normal Portative Crow foot mount to attach to the tripod. The mount resembles a Vickers mount. It also came with the skeletonized butt stock, barrel wrench, brass strips and loading machine.
    Has anyone seen this type of mount for the Portative?

Default Re: British Mk I Portative On Heavy Tripod

I have original copies of the Index to the List of Changes from 1915 through to 1923, which means i can look up changes and introductions of equipment, but, as it is only the index, I can't look up the details. However I looked though it and found this entry:

Mountings, Tripod, Hotchkiss, .303-inch Gun. New Pattern. 18426.

18426 is the List of Changes Paragraph and tells me that a piece of equipment of this description was introduced in May 1917 (the paragraphs for that month were 18393-18531). This might well be the tripod you have.

Rob

The gun alone is a rare bit of kit here!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks for the info guys. Perhaps with that info I an find more information.