Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Snider Mk111

Article about: My latest find is this Britsh Snider Mk111 short rifle. The short rifle only had two barrel bands and was several inches shorter than the standard three band model. It was referred to as the

Default British Snider Mk111

My latest find is this Britsh Snider Mk111 short rifle. The short rifle only had two barrel bands and was several inches shorter than the standard three band model. It was referred to as the Sergeants model, as it was usually issued to NCO's.

This particular example has spent the past 125 years in a farmhouse - completely untouched for all that time. The original finish to the wood had shrunk and crazed over the years, and on the L/H side of the stock was a deep crack around the forward lock plate retaining bolt. I have my own opinions on how this may have occured.

When I removed the barrel from the stock I noticed that the forward lock plate retaining bolt had been filed flat - probably to allow the barrel to bed down better in the stock. I have this idea that if someone had tried to remove the lock before removing the barrel, the action of turning the bolt would have placed the rounded side of the bolt against the underside of the barrel and tried to force it upward as the bolt was turned. The stock being the weaker of the two materials gave way. Fortunately, the split does not appear to have weakened the stock to any noticeable extent.

The clearing rod also appears to have a period repair about two thirds down its length. There is also a small disc which has been attached to the stock just to the rear of the barrel tang. Has anyone any ideas what it may represent?

All in all, this is a very nice example of a true Mk111 as opposed to the early rifles which were just a conversion of the Enfield P53. The serial number on the receiver is only three digits as well. I have included a couple of pictures of the rifle before its clean up

British Snider Mk111British Snider Mk111British Snider Mk111British Snider Mk111British Snider Mk111

Default Re: British Snider Mk111

That's a great find Steve, where did you get this one from?....

A few more pictures. Has anyone any opinions on the emblem near the barrel tang?

British Snider Mk111British Snider Mk111British Snider Mk111British Snider Mk111British Snider Mk111

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    That's a great find Steve, where did you get this one from?....
    Hi Gunny, It came from an RFD in South Wales. I swapped one of my rifles for it.

Do you have plans to put some lead through her? I shot one about 15 years back, I've no idea if I hit anything with it, it took ages for the smoke to clear but it was jolly good fun.

Great looking Snider - it cleaned up nicely. The crack in the
    stock by the lock plate looks very old. Possibly from
    being dropped or stepped on.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Harry,

Snap, its good to encounter another Snider enthusiast!

Attached photos of two other Mk.IIIs. The rifle was issued to Prince Alfred's Volunteer Guard and the Cavalry Carbine to the Cape Mounted Rifles.

British Snider Mk111British Snider Mk111British Snider Mk111o

Hi Terry, two lovely looking examples. My rifle was absolutely filthy when I got it. Apart from cleaning off all the gunge and filling in the cracks, I have not done anything to it. The shape of the wood - although the sharp edges of the flat areas of the stock around the lock are more rounded - is exactly as I got it. The cracks to the stock are extremely old, and I doubt if they will get any worst.

Although the fittings on the stock are steel, I think the stock is off a P53 musket. The channel for the clearing rod travels much further back than it needs to for a Snider. The lock is dated 1860 and also off a P53. The barrel and breech area are all Mk111 and marked 'STEEL' to signify the greater strength over the earlier converted Mk11. I was surprised to find no trace of rust or pitting to the underside of the barrel when I removed it from the stock. It is certainly in shootable condition, but I lost my interest in shooting many years ago. I suppose its a bit like owning a car and not driving it!

great looking rifle Steve.

Some people have all the like finding treasures like this.
    I sure don't.
    thanks for sharing the photos.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Hi John, thanks for the comments. I have plenty of time on my hands to hunt these things down! I decide what I want, and then I throw all my energy into tracking down an item thats a bit different from other examples. Seek and ye shall find!

Cheers,
    Steve.