Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brown Bess muskets

Article about: Curiously, I've noticed on WW arms site a supposed 3 band Enfield. Can't be too sure from the photos but it actually doesn't look too bad. Used, for sure, but genuine use as opposed to the h

Chris Warner
    ?

Default Brown Bess muskets

I'm trying to clear up a question I have about a weapon sold to me in around 1976 as a Brown Bess musket.
    I was told that it was part of a large consignment of similar weapons recently released for sale by the arsenal of the Maharajah of Jaipur. There were quite a few other examples in the shop at the time.
    It's in pretty good condition, dated 1796, and looks pretty much like some examples I've seen of a short Land Pattern. In truth I've always wondered quite how much of a "Brown Bess" it really is and how it would be regarded by collectors and other experts.
    Does anybody know anything about such a "consignment" surfacing round about that time in London?

?

Default Re: Brown Bess muskets

hi , i can recall this story from the mid 80s , not sure re the brown bess angle as i seem to recall that most of the muskets i saw at the time were cut down or reworked stocks more hunting than military . a lot of Indian talwar swords came from this find as i recall a British company world wide arms sold job lots of swords. bought a few myself.a similar arsenal find was made in Nepal inc field guns. hope this is some help....cheers paul

Chris Warner
    ?

Hi Paul and thanks for response. This one I've got looks right enough and nothing like the efforts sold by worldwide arms. Yes, I did buy one once and it's a dog.

best regards,

Chris

ian
    ?

erm world wide er ,,,, no bad bad bad , i dont want to go into detail but i would not buy a dead parrot from that croud , they would tell me it was sleaping LOL cheers ian

ian
    ?

beware of the kyber pas fakes
    a huge amount of very old and original rifels have come out recently from that area most have gone to the US they generaly are original ex british rifles and most nare battered and damaged but the odd one or two are good and they are still cheep cheers ian
    nepal is the latest place that they are comming from as was prev stated

?

hi,re the khyber pass fakes , i recall some years ago coming across at auction in the UK midlands a so called khyber pass copy smle and the bidding went nuts on it . the quality was superb , handmade with pedal powered machinery ,also saw Luger that was made in that area perfect even to the markings,,,,cheers ,,paul

ian
    ?

paul mate you dont know the half of what those guys can replicate ,there skill is astounding , they will make something from nothing without a thought
    cheers ian
    (a plan so cunning you could keep it in your pocket )

ian
    ?

just dont let balldrick make the cofee

?

the rat o van is still on the menu capt!! classic stuff...

ian
    ?

YUM YUM with salt and pepper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast