MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Bullets

Article about: I was told my great grandfather was a worker for a bullet manufacturing company during world war two. I've had a bullet sitting on my dresser for about 6 years now, and I finally decided to

Revival
    ?

Default Bullets

I was told my great grandfather was a worker for a bullet manufacturing company during world war two. I've had a bullet sitting on my dresser for about 6 years now, and I finally decided to look into it. It was never used, I was told it was taken straight out of the factory. The only thing I can tell you is it is marked DM 43. can someone tell me what gun shot this round and some basic history about it?

Default Re: Bullets

No idea of the calibre but at a guess DM is for Deutsche Waffen-u. Munitionsfabriken A.-G., , Früher Lorenz , Karlsruhe, Germany. 43 would be the date of manufacture. possibly 7.92

?

DM could also be for the Des Moines Iowa plant in the USA seeing as we have to guess at the country he lived and worked in.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hi and welcome to the forum !

The term 'bullet' is the projectile itself. I think what you want identifying is the 'cartridge'. Sorry to be picky but it's a pet hate of mine when people call a cartridge a bullet

Des Moines is more likely considering there's only 2 marks. 7.92's usually (although not always) have 4 sets of markings. That would make it either a .30 or .50 cal. Can you upload some pictures or, failing that, measure it for us please.

Thanks

Steve T

Revival
    ?

Alrighty I took some measurements. It's about 5 and a half inches long, or 14 centimeters, and 2 centimeters thick at the bottom of the cartridge. Hope this helps!

In which case it's a .50cal. I've attached some pictures of .50cals I have found, 5 that I spent HOURS cleaning to get them back to original brass, (these are INERT and are made from spent cartridges and spent bullets married together), and a set of .50cal headstamps. Hopefully, yours looks like the one far right.

These cartridges were used in the standard heavy MG of the US Army, mounted on tanks, jeeps, half-tracks etc.... and also mounted on virtually all American WW2 aircraft.

Hope this answers you questions

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bullets   Bullets  

Bullets  

Hello-that sounds like Mr .50 cal -Browning heavy machine gun round.

Larry Frankenfield
    ?

Yep. Nice that you have a mint bullet. It's a standard issue US.30 cal. Remington issue carbine rifle bullet. Made in Des Moines, Iowa in 1943

Errr...not if it's over 5" long!

?

And definitely not a carbine round