Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

BYF/44coded stock stamping

Article about: On the stock of my kar98k there appears to be the letter O stamped underneath pistol grip area of stock. Does this denote the rifle was issued to acertain branch of the service. This kar 98

Question BYF/44coded stock stamping

On the stock of my kar98k there appears to be the letter O stamped underneath pistol grip area of stock. Does this denote the rifle was issued to acertain branch of the service. This kar 98 is a mixmatch but retains original stampings with no X on receiver and no shellac or reblue. I would appreciate any feedback.

Default Re: BYF/44coded stock stamping

Might it be a 'C' and not an 'O'? I know one of the manufacturers marked their stocks with a 'C' (Gustloff, bcd)

Regards,

John

Thanks for replying. I will double check. This letter is marked at bottom of the pistol grip area of stock. Has horzontal numbers marked under bolt disc. Probably Romanian capture.

"O" for "Ost",maybe? Was it send East to the Balkans or somesuch Eastern European country? Didn't the Germans consider Romanians "Eastern People"? Just a guess... William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    "O" for "Ost",maybe? Was it send East to the Balkans or somesuch Eastern European country? Didn't the Germans consider Romanians "Eastern People"? Just a guess... William
    Perhaps. Rifle has been stamped with numbers on left hand side. Is amixmatcher but rifle has different numbered bolt and spring band up front despite not having shellac or reblue. Usually they take them apart for that purpose and slap any parts back together. Thanks for replying