Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Can some one explain about matching gun part numbers ?

Article about: Hello I'm a little confused as to the whole parts numbers thing ? I would guess that every part of a gun has a number and if they all match thennthe gun is worth loads but surly some parts m

?

Default Can some one explain about matching gun part numbers ?

Hello

I'm a little confused as to the whole parts numbers thing ? I would guess that every part of a gun has a number and if they all match thennthe gun is worth loads but surly some parts may have been replaced I'n the battle fild ? And then are thenguns with no matching parts numbers basically fakes if they are ww2 but from 10 different guns ?

Kind regards
    Alex

Default Re: Can some one explain about matching gun part numbers ?

Its not the part numbers you are refering to but the Serial number. Collectors will pay top price for a gun with matching numbers as they are original to how they left the factory. Most guns with matching numbers will tend to be in better condition becase as you say, in battle, you are only intrested in a gun that will function, not in its originality.

There are some guns, like the post war FTRs of Lithgow where they are 100% matching but the components are quite often renumbered or are new later production. These again demand a good price because they are little used and match, however they still don't command the price of a 100% matching original condition piece.

kc1
    ?

I thought the parts of a weapon were numbered because even in todays automated engineering most weapons are hand finished and the moving parts will only work/move properly in that particular weapon. If you've ever worked on a car and been frustrated that some part won't go together or come apart because of the slightest burr that you can barely see then you'll know what i mean.

KC, almost all of the military spec rifles and pistols have interchangable parts. The weapons are used, thrown into storage, reworked, used, enduring that cycle over and over. Each time they get arsenal reworked they could end up with replacement parts from another weapon. There is nothing wrong with a mixed parts gun other than a reduction in value.

Jay

?

Thank you for explaining that

There are some older guns which have serial numbred parts for reasons mentioned above. The Bren is a good example, the barrel nut was a select fit with a number of diffrent sizes to accomodate for differing tolerances in production. Other parts were matched only for wear purposes, i.e. the bolt carrier of a machine gun maybe matched to a body and these will stay together for the life of a component so that they wear at the same rate rather than just mix new and old together.

Hi Alex, always buy a matching numbered rifle/MG if you possibly can. This is especially true of German weapons, but these are increasing rare and will command a big premium. If you cannot find one, then accept all matching, say bar the bolt as this is one major part that can often get replaced.

Soviet weapons are again numbered, but post war rebuild programmes took weapons apart to refinish them etc. When put back together these were "force number matched", in other words, they were re-numbered often using an electro pencil engraving tool.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thank you for all your help !