Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Carcano Find! Need help Identifying

Article about: Hey guys, found something new today. I was at an Antique show and I found this Carcano (Carbine I think). I wanted to see if you guys could help me Identify this gun, who made it, or when it

Congrats I'm glad you are happy. I own one myself. Yes they still make ammo for it but it's not cheap.
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

?

I thought this was the rearsenal stamp.

Carcano Find! Need help Identifying
    The serial number of stock does not match the rest. And what I read was, they were stripped down refinished then reassembled as parts were available.
    So maybe I just have a good looking clunker!!!!

Sorry Jimmee, for bumping in on yours. I'm done!

Semper Fi
    Phil

You’re completely fine Phil! Thanks for your info! Also Phil, mine has a W as well. Kinda cool! Thank you guys so much for your help and your information about it. If you see anything else in the pictures, just say.
    Again, thank!!

Phil I believe that is a cartouche from the Terni factory.. "Fabbrica D'armi Terni".. That would be a war time stamp if I'm reading it right.
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

One final thing. You all think it’s a Carcano Carbine, from 1943? I know that Pat has a different opinion, so I would like to have a final opinion. Thanks!

?

If your fine with it Jimmee ,
    It is a FAT 41 made rifle. So I guess that fits the rifle except it is a different serial number than the rest. It is in really good shape. But that because it was refinished. LOL Well when I figured this all out. It was what I had read about these. mismatched stock meant that it was a post war sold surplus rifle. Serial number is also etched on receiver but stamped on barrel .
    Carcano Find! Need help IdentifyingCarcano Find! Need help Identifying

Yeah I didn't know much about them when It was offered to me and it was a great price, So if it shoots its a winner!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

And that it wasn’t refurbished?

PRE
    ?

Quote by Jimmeelegs View Post
    One final thing. You all think it’s a Carcano Carbine, from 1943? I know that Pat has a different opinion, so I would like to have a final opinion. Thanks!
    Sorry if I confused anyone.
    It's definitely a Model 1938 Carcano Cavalry Carbine. I didn't check the serial number vs. the same written sources mentioned by UKCousin, but I don't doubt that 1943 is the production date. Yours is what's called a mismatched example, because the stock doesn't match the receiver, as they did when they were produced, and when they left a refurbishment facility. Matching examples are worth more than mismatched, but that's among collectors, more or less. If you just want a representative example or a shooter, it really doesn't matter. I'm not a Carcano collector per se, but I kind of have a 'thing' for very late war Carcanos!

Pat

PRE
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    If your fine with it Jimmee ,
    It is a FAT 41 made rifle. So I guess that fits the rifle except it is a different serial number than the rest. It is in really good shape. But that because it was refinished. LOL Well when I figured this all out. It was what I had read about these. mismatched stock meant that it was a post war sold surplus rifle. Serial number is also etched on receiver but stamped on barrel .
    Carcano Find! Need help IdentifyingCarcano Find! Need help Identifying

Yeah I didn't know much about them when It was offered to me and it was a great price, So if it shoots its a winner!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Phil,
    The M1941's are probably my favorite flavor of Carcano. That electro-penciled/vibropenned number on the receiver is of the type that are thought to have been imported out of Albania. They're relatively recent arrivals, compared to other Carcanos. There were also a bunch of Chi-Comm SKS', too. That batch might have been acquired from Yugoslavia at some point. There were numerous Italian units deployed in Yugoslavia prior to the (Italian) armistice with the Allies in September 1943. Once that kicked off, several Italian soldiers defected to the Partisans, bringing their small arms. An OSS Officer assigned to Slovenia observed that entire Partisan units were armed with Italian small arms at the time. Add to that the number of Carcanos seized by German troops, who used them inside Yugoslavia and subsequently surrendered or were captured by Yugoslav Partisans. It is now believed that Yugoslavia disposed of these in a sale to Albania at some point. It is very likely that during that time the Albanians (or the Yugoslavs?) mixed up previously matching examples in order to assemble functioning rifles out of some damaged ones.

Best,
    Pat

?

Thanks Pat,
    I guess mine is in this category."a representative example or a shooter" which is what it is, A shooter and It does display well with the M1891 bayonet next to my M33 helmet. I call my helmet, rifle, bayonet Italian section complete. I guess I'm not that much of a purest.
    Somebody along the line finished this one. Its a really clean looking rifle.
    Thanks again for that very interesting back story of its travels.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast