Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Carcano Find! Need help Identifying

Article about: Hey guys, found something new today. I was at an Antique show and I found this Carcano (Carbine I think). I wanted to see if you guys could help me Identify this gun, who made it, or when it

I'll throw in more confusion. There are post war examples of Italian cartouches on the stocks representing new ownership for the export market. Many of these are on the 41 rifles but none converted to 8mm. It's like these things were scattered across the known universe at some point.
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

PRE
    ?

If I'm tracking correctly, those are actually the refurb stamps, applied at the facilities that reconditioned the rifles and replaced the parts that needed it. The good thing is that many of those stamps were clearly applied, so the date is usually pretty clear. I've seen as early as 1947 and as late as 1957.

Yes, although my source didn't go into any detail about the refurb process. More of a "new owner" notation.
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

?

I thought my stamp was a post war date. That cellphone pic I posted is NOT the Best!!!. Ill see if my son can take one with his camera
    I'll take a better look at it in good light with a micro lens to see if I can make out a date.

Semper Fi
    Phil

PRE
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I thought my stamp was a post war date.
    The stamp on the barrel shank (FAT 41) is from when it was originally produced by Terni in 1941. It looks like the stock stamp above the serial number is from Terni too, and would have been put there when the rifle was completed. Many rifles received replacement parts as needed, but not necessarily made by the same factory that made the rifle. Numerous sub-contractors produced parts and components, so it's certainly possible to see a bolt part from FNA Brescia on a Terni rifle, for example.

Agreed.. It doesn't line up with any post war stamp example I've seen either.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234