Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

a carcano I just picked up...

Article about: I just picked this rifle up yesterday. I look for inexpensive shooter grade weapons as I actually like to shoot them. This one appears to be in great shape....The interesting thing about thi

?

Default a carcano I just picked up...

I just picked this rifle up yesterday. I look for inexpensive shooter grade weapons as I actually like to shoot them. This one appears to be in great shape....The interesting thing about this one is that it has a duffel bag cut under the barrel band..the stock # matches the receiver number...only thing missing is the cleaning rod...what can you guys tell me about the markings?..since it has that cut, do you believe it to be a vet bring-back?..the action wasn't very smooth until I cleaned it. It had solidified carbon in multiple spots and I felt like a dentist working with my picks..i don't believe the sling is original...once deer season is over i'll run some rounds through her....

Pretty nice condition!...

MAP
    ?

I've never heard of a duffle cut carcano. Interesting...

Can't tell from my tiny cell phone if this is a carbine. They were pretty short rifles so I would assume they would fit in a duffle bag. But if it is the long rifle, then I could see how it would be cut down. I have 4 or 5 of these in various condition and configurations. I see it appears to be matching including the stock. Any import marks on the barrel? Also, has the stamping on top of the receiver been messed with?....once again, I'm looking at this from a cell phone so a bit hard to see.

Regards

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

In looking again. Is the bolt mismatched. Just wondering. I know said it was just a shooter.

Will look at my reference info when I'm home. But if I remember correctly, the T on the bolt stands for Terini. I think this is an inspection Mark...but I will have to check. I'm quite rusty on these rifles and happy to stand corrected.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

there are no import marks...the stamp on top has damage....this rifle looks like it was banged some, but not fired very much....I only paid $125 and got 6 rounds or norma and one clip too....if it shoots as good as it looks, I'd call it a score...

?

and yes the bolt has a different number, but I read somewhere that doesn't mean much...I don't mind either way as I plan to use her from time to time...it is a full length rifle...thanks

MAP
    ?

This appears to be a Model 1891/41 Carcano Infantry Fucile (Long) rifle. Although I can not make out the stamp on the top of the receiver I'm pretty sure it says FAT with a 2 digit year below inside the rectangle. FAT stands for Fabbricca d'Arma Terni, the government arsenal at Terni. I think I also see the firing proof mark on the right side of receiver ring.

This is identified as a 91/41 vs. just the Model 1891 as the sights are graduated from 300 meters to 1000 meters along with a few other small differences. The mismatched bolt is not a big issue if you are using it as a shooter. It is my understanding that when troops surrendered, the allies removed the bolt from the rifle and threw them in a pile and when some soldier wanted a souvenir, they went to one pile to pick up a rifle and another to pick up a bolt....

I've used this site in the past as a basic guide. There is another one I prefer but I can't find the link.

Carcano Model Identification

*** However, I recommend that you repost your pictures not using a photo hosting sight. If these pictures are removed, this thread becomes useless.

Hope this helps,

Michael

often dropped,not much fired.

?

Cool rifle. I have a M91 bayonet that needs a home.

Semper Fi
    Phil

The bolt is from another 91 rifle, probably a 91/38, since the 41 model was issued with straight handle bolt. Maybe even an earlier model (WWI) since numbering the bolts wasn't a common pratice during the WWII.
    It is a Terni rifle, check also the stock cartouche over s/n.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast