Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,

Article about: I got a question regarding the rifle who can be seen on this picture, the picture is from the book ‘Van Canada tot Dollard tou’ (From Canada until the Dollard) and taken in the North of the

Grutte Pier
    ?

Question Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,

I got a question regarding the rifle who can be seen on this picture, the picture is from the book ‘Van Canada tot Dollard tou’ (From Canada until the Dollard) and taken in the North of the Dutch province of Groningen. It’s a German Kriegsmarine Küstenartillerie (Coastal Artillery) soldier who awaits his Canadian opponents. I know that people have found numerous types of cartridges in that area variable from the usual German ammo until Dutch, Russian and even Italian. The rifle in the picture sure isn’t from German origin but looks to be from the wide Mannlicher range of rifles, question is which one?, to me it either looks to be a Carcano M91 or the Dutch Mannlicher M95, what do you think?, thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,  

Default Re: Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,

I believe it is a one of the French Mannlicher Lebel Carbines...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Grutte Pier
    ?

Thumbs up Re: Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    I believe it is a one of the French Mannlicher Lebel Carbines...BILL
    Thanks mister Grist, now that you mention it, its indeed a French Lebel rifle, all those Mannlicher type rifles do look like each other, this does make sense because a friend and fellow forum member told me that Kriegsmarine Küstenartillerie unites in Holland made use of the French Lebel. It’s a interesting picture because nice detail is that he not only has a foreign rifle but also a British camo net on his helmet.

Quote by Grutte Pier View Post
    Thanks mister Grist, now that you mention it, its indeed a French Lebel rifle, all those Mannlicher type rifles do look like each other, this does make sense because a friend and fellow forum member told me that Kriegsmarine Küstenartillerie unites in Holland made use of the French Lebel. It’s a interesting picture because nice detail is that he not only has a foreign rifle but also a British camo net on his helmet.
    Grutte Pier, Here is a pict. of KM S-Boat Sailors cleaning a R-35 8mm Lebel Carbine...BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,   Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,  

Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,   Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,  

Attached Images Attached Images Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,  Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?, 
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Grutte Pier
    ?

Grutte Pier, Here is a pict. of KM S-Boat Sailors cleaning a R-35 8mm Lebel Carbine...BILL
    Thanks for this great addition to the thread, beautiful rifle and the German bread bag strap is a nice detail, they really used those things for everything except the bread bag, thanks for sharing, is there a rifle you don’t have.

Grutte Pier
    ?

Lightbulb Re: Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,

I have done some research and came to the conclusion that its probably this type of Lebel, see pictures, used by the soldier in the picture.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,   Carcano M91 or Dutch Mannlicher M95?,  

Quote by Grutte Pier View Post
    I have done some research and came to the conclusion that its probably this type of Lebel, see pictures, used by the soldier in the picture.
    That is the model 1916 with 5 shot clip..... I have shown on this fourm all the French Carbines.. Here is the link...BILL

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...6-carbine.html

Grutte Pier
    ?

That is the model 1916 with 5 shot clip..... I have shown on this fourm all the French Carbines.. Here is the link...BILL

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...6-carbine.html
    Thanks mister Grist, I once was able to purchase a rifle like this, I don’t recall if they asked 100 or 125 euro for it then but I thought it wouldn’t be of interest because it was French and I thought it to be a WWI gun.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.