Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chinese Contract Inglis HP35 & Holsters

Article about: Hello-this is my Canadian made 9mm Inglis HP35 pistol, produced originally for the Nationalist Chinese govt during the latter part of WW2. The Chinese had adopted the FN made HP35 before the

Default Chinese Contract Inglis HP35 & Holsters

Hello-this is my Canadian made 9mm Inglis HP35 pistol, produced originally for the Nationalist Chinese govt during the latter part of WW2. The Chinese had adopted the FN made HP35 before the start of WW2 but the German occupation of Belgium in 1940 meant that they were then looking for a new source of supply of the pistol. Canada was making a number of types of weapons for the Nationalists so a production line was set up and manufacture began in 1943. The Chinese had specified that the pistol was to be slotted for a wooden shoulder stock/holster and fitted with a tangent rear sight graduated to a highly optimistic 500 metres, similarly to the Mauser C96s that were very popular in China in the 20s and 30s. Pistols made for this contract feature the letters 'CH' in the serial number to indicate this.

A second batch was ordered but most of these were not delivered to the Chinese and were diverted to Canadian and British forces (chiefly Paratroops and Commandos) as the No.1 Mk 1 along with further orders of a simplified model without the stock slot or adjustable rear sight (the No.2 Mk1).

The 2 holsters shown are the Chinese specified web 1st model with steel insert in the magazine pouch compartment inside the holster along with a leather cleaning rod holder, not a popular issue as the holster was too small for the pistol. This one was made in 1944 by Zephyr Loom & Textile Co. Also the OD Green P51 web holster as used post war by many armed forces including Australia with the Hi Power.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chinese Contract Inglis HP35 & Holsters   Chinese Contract Inglis HP35 & Holsters  

Chinese Contract Inglis HP35 & Holsters   Chinese Contract Inglis HP35 & Holsters  

Default The Holsters

As above.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chinese Contract Inglis HP35 & Holsters   Chinese Contract Inglis HP35 & Holsters  

Chinese Contract Inglis HP35 & Holsters   Chinese Contract Inglis HP35 & Holsters  

I received this holster today from the US-2nd pattern 'breakaway', a much more successful type than the 1st, it remained in use long after WW2. This one was made by Zephyr Loom and Textile Ltd, Canada 1945- marked 'TPL' having been treated with an anti fungal for tropical service, but unissued and very stiff!-the holster attaches by a broad belt loop or the P37 belt hooks. Similarly to the above 1st pattern, a spare magazine is stored inside the steel sleeve in a compartment in the holster along with a leather holder for the cleaning rod.

?

When I was in the Canadian Army in the 80s, we still use theos HPs, Many were the contract Pistols that were never delivered with those 500 yard sights, or what ever they were.
    I understand they are still in the system.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Geat Information! I have one of these Inglis Hi Powers with a shoulder stock that is dated 1944 and have one of the 2nd pattern 'breakaway' Holsters in my collection. I have the photos of mine in my albums sections on my profile. Thanks for sharing this information with us.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

MAP
    ?

Nice pistol John. Always wanted a Hi-Power.

Haven't yet focused on the pistol side of my collection however. Hopefully soon
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you.
    I have been collecting for years.
    I need to add some more photos of my War room one of these days. I have added so much that it looks quite full now. I always liked the odd stuff for some reason.

John

Quote by MAP View Post
    Nice pistol John. Always wanted a Hi-Power.

Haven't yet focused on the pistol side of my collection however. Hopefully soon
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

I also have the HP Rig. To say the 1st pattern holster is to small and tight is an understatement.

?

Sweet Inglis!!

Very nice pistol. Love the tangent sight models.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast