Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) M1 Garand

Article about: MY GARAND HAS SHIPPED! If the information on the CMP E-Store is correct... it's serial number is: 1819XXX!! JULY 1943!!!

?

Default Re: The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) M1 Garand

I got an M1 Garand through the DCM (forerunner of the CMP) back in 1992. Back then you had to join a DCM club and shoot in the required number of DCM rifle matches to qualify to buy a rifle. You were only allowed one rifle and you didn't get to pick it out. BUT, they were only $165 back then! The one I got had a glass-bedded National Match stock and looked brand new. It was a Springfield but I don't remember the serial number (I regret to say it is long-gone now). I do remember that I could shoot 1" groups (with the iron sights) at 100 yards with it.

Mike

I bought my H&R M1 from CMP. It came with new wood at no extra charge, and was in very good condition overall. Best $622.00 I ever spent, lol. Right now, I don't believe there are any 1903's available, and the only M1 carbines available are being sold by auction only.

Dusty

?

Joe,
    Great decision to take the trip to the Ohio CMP. You will be sure to get a primo M1. Back in the 80's when you had to be in a DCM accredited club I bought a Garand for $165 as well. It was a post Korean War Springfield refurb that was absolutely in mint condition with 100% finish and brand new eagle cartouched wood. Still haven't fired it and have all the paper work and shipping box. I am sure if you spend the time, as I know you will, you will get a dandy M!. Good luck on your trip and be safe.
    Sam

I bought the 1903 about 9 years ago. Most of the carbines are gone, I see alot of them for sale at gunshows. I liked it better when they rationed the firearms, then everyone could get one if they wanted, now it seems most are bought by dealers for resale. This defeats the whole premise of the CMP imo.

When you get your rifle, make sure and keep the CMP shipping box, it increases the value if you ever sell the rifle. My wife tries to throw mine in the garbage every few years saying they take up too much room. Ain't love grand.

Jay

Hey guys, I just thought I'd update you on my mission to acquire a Garand from the CMP...

As I said earlier, all of my paperwork is finished. I was hoping to make a trip to the North Store in person... However, I will not be able to make a trip to the North Store because I just started a new job and it'll be quite a while before I get time off. With that being said, I will mail in an order form and I am hoping that lady luck and a yellow sticky note will lead to me getting a Springfield Arsenal Service Grade Garand with a World War II serial number. I also noted that I don't mind if the stock has a fair amount of dings and dents from service use.

I am mailing in the paper work tomorrow and I will be sure to update you folks when my order is confirmed by the CMP/ I finally receive my rifle!

?

Can't wait to see it!! I am hoping to make a trip out to the north store sometime, as well.

Hey Joe, I was talking to one of my friends today about the CMP, and he told me that they are almost out of their walnut-stocked Garands. Apparently most of them there now have Birch stocks. You might want to try requesting one of the walnut ones if you can.

My paperwork was mailed in today! Now I play the waiting game...

I've been very antsy since I submitted the paperwork. Do any of you guys who have experience with the CMP know if I will receive e-mail notification? Will my order status be reflected on the CMP estore?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast