Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

CS Menndenhall/Jones/Gardner rifle

Article about: A friend inherited this rare MJG rifle made in Greensboro NC. Thought you guys might like to see it before he sells it. I have only handled 3 and see a few others in museums. Mendenhall and

?

Default CS Menndenhall/Jones/Gardner rifle

A friend inherited this rare MJG rifle made in Greensboro NC. Thought you guys might like to see it before he sells it. I have only handled 3 and see a few others in museums. Mendenhall and Gardner were Quakers. Mendenhall was asked not to return to church for making implements of war. There were several variations, see Hill/Antohony''s book on Confederate firearms.

Default Re: CS Menndenhall/Jones/Gardner rifle

Very nice, what kind of age are we talking for this? Used to have a kentucky rifle in a pub near me here in Ireland, used to hang up and I loved seeing it and the owner always promised he would give me it (I was only young) well, anyways he turned out to be a liar lol

?

This is is a rifle from the American Civil War, made by the Confederacy. Confederate firearms are very rare as they made few and many were destroyed after the war. Many that were not destroyed were used until worn out after the war and quite a few converted to shotguns. This one was made in 1864. My friend was lucky to inherit such a rare piece.

I feel your pain with the Kentucky long rifle. You do not have it until it is in hand no matter what you are told.

Very nice Confederate Civil War rifle made here in North Carolina......BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    Very nice Confederate Civil War rifle made here in North Carolina......BILL
    That is another reason I would love to have it, made in NC and by my wife's relatives. Just noticed the pic of lockplate is not too clear. Will try to get another before it goes home. I think it would rather live with me, what do you think Uncle Bill?

Thanks for posting this. The history behind it is something I had not read about before.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thanks for posting this. The history behind it is something I had not read about before.

Cheers, Ade.
    You are welcome. I felt lucky to examine another one.