MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Czech VZ 1922 Pistol questions

Article about: This is the early VZ 22, the predecessor to the VZ 24 pistol. It is my understanding these were never made for the military so I was surprised by the markings on the front strap. I would ass

Default Czech VZ 1922 Pistol questions (Acquired)

This is the early VZ 22, the predecessor to the VZ 24 pistol. It is my understanding these were never made for the military so I was surprised by the markings on the front strap. I would assume police inventory markings. The mag is not matching and I do not know if the frame and slide match. I have not ever seen this model for sale before. Are they fairly uncommon or even collectable? Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Thank you for looking. Apologies for the poor quality pics as I do not have it in hand.
    John

Czech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questions
    Last edited by Rescue190; 09-21-2019 at 10:30 PM.

?

I see the 9mm marking , But have to ask while I found 2 types of 1922 searching for an answer for you. One in .25cal(6.35) and the other in .380.
    Is that marking 9mm kurtz??.
    The reference is a firearms price guide.. Not much info, But wanted to make sure of the caliber before looking further.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I did find a couple of post on other sites saying that these were issued to Czechoslovak Gendarmery units. A long with military units.
    I can't see from the pic's provided but ,Some also mention looking for a CET marking on the trigger guard. This would indicate Police issue.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you Phil. It appears to be Army proofed E lion 23. I never knew these were used by the military. I am going to try to acquire. I will post better pics if successful. It is an interesting piece that is not all that common.
    John

?

ČZ vz. 22

Type of weapon: pistol
    Manufacturer's designation: pistol ČZ vz. 22
    Year of production: 1921 to 1924
    Marking of the Slovak Army: vz. 22
    Number in the arsenal of words. Army: 7025 pieces
    Caliber: 9 mm vz. 22
    Barrel length: 87 mm
    Muzzle velocity: 300 m / s
    Range: 50 m
    Weight unloaded weapons: 634 g
    Type of ammunition: charge vz.22
    Special features: frequent defects, produced only a few smaller series.
    Short history: Mauser-Nickel design, .8 Parabellum hubs. Adapted for the new hub vz.22.
    Locked conclusion - Mauser license.

Total was made (rounded) 19 thousand pistols vz. 22nd
    Of which:
    - 1st version (with internal spring steel extractor and automatic slide release after insertion of full magazine) - 2500 pcs

- 2nd design (with capturing the slide after firing the last cartridge through the feeder and with a reinforced barrel and breech) - 3500 pcs

- 3rd version (with external extractor, spring coil suspension and "even more" reinforced barrel and bolt) - 13000 pcs

model 1:Czech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questions

model 3 :Czech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questions

Kekel. Thank you for the details.
    John

?

you're welcome!! If you need information on military things from the Czech Republic, I will be happy to help Michal

Thank you kekel, much appreciated. I was able to procure this item and I should be able to pick up this weekend. I will post better pics when I get it in hand. I have gained some knowledge on this gun but still have more to learn. I would like to get it cleaned up, field stripped to check the other serial numbers to make sure a matching gun. The mag is not matching from the original pics.
    John

I did go pick it up today and was able to get all of the gunk off of it. It had a bunch of dried oil on it and likely has not been fired for a long time. All of the internals are all matching. The numbered parts were the barrel bushing, barrel retainer, barrel and slide. The mag does not match which is also a bummer.
    This was in the first order of 19,000 pistols made by Zbrojovka Brno. It is my understanding there was another 20,000 gun order completed by Ceska Zbrojovka (CZ).
    I am pretty happy to add this one to the collection as it is not commonly found. I wish there was more finish remaining but? I believe the unit marking to the the 39th Regiment, infantry, weapon #1042. Thanks you for the information.
    John

Czech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questionsCzech VZ 1922 Pistol questions

Michal if you are willing to share you knowledge I would be thankful to accept. I hope I got the front strap markings correct. I was trying to connect this regiment with WWII time period without much luck. Any help is appreciated. If I can keep it in a WWII collection with confidence I will keep as it is not a common gun. If not I will pass it onto a person that collects CZ or interwar period items. Thanks for looking and sharing knowledge.
    John