Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dating my Austro-Hungarian WW1 Steyr M95 Long Rifle?

Article about: About a week ago I picked up a WW1 Austro-Hungarian Empire M95 Long Rifle that was converted from 8x50mm to 8x56mm during WWII. I payed \\$100 for the rifle. Good or bad price? What is it wort

?

Default Dating my Austro-Hungarian WW1 Steyr M95 Long Rifle?

About a week ago I picked up a WW1 Austro-Hungarian Empire Steyr Mannlicher M95 Long Rifle that was converted from 8x50mm to 8x56mm during WWII. I payed $100 for the rifle. Good or bad price? What is it worth in this condition?
    It came with 5 stripper clips (4 in Original packages of 2 each) with all bullets being original 1938 German ammunition. 1 Package is German and the other is Austrian, even though all bullets are German produced.

Anyways, this gun has been deactivated/demilled and where you normally see the date stamp above the chamber, there is a big hole cut. Also the bolt face is welded so the firing pin cannot strike the bullet. The gun operates normally and I can load ammunition and fire it, so naturally nothing will happen.

There a bunch of stamps all over the gun but in the pictures below I have shown the stamps on the barrel and the stamps on the buttstock of the rifle. The stamp on the barrel is "2977 U" and there are 4 stamps on the buttstock.
    You can see a faint Austrian Flag stamped on above the numbers.
    The first stamp of numbers is "380"
    Underneath those numbers, the rifle has been double stamped, one 4 digit code over another 4 digit code. I was able to make out the numbers underneath and above. The first stamp reads "3527" and then the heatstamp overtop reads "2201" I am trying to figure out the year the gun was produced/accepted into service. If anyone could help with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	1005214

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	1005215

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	1005216

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	1005217

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	1005218

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	1005219

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	1005220

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	1005221

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	1005222

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	1005232

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	1005233

There is no way of knowing by serial number what the manufacture date is. Rechambering in 8x56r started in 1930. I believe that the stock isn't original to your gun because the serial number on the left side of the stock should match receiver and barrel numbers. As for paying $100 for the entire thing as a collectors piece id say you did well. The bullets themselves are $15 to $20 per box.... Trust me on that

Name:	IMG_20160409_1907588.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	319.3 KB 
ID:	1005242
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

?

Ahh okay. That makes sense why I couldn't find anything on it. Haha I believe you in the price of the ammo, I looked around and found the prices to be what you said. But for gun itself, what do you value it at?

We can't do monetary evaluations here as its against forum rules. I can say that for $100 you did fairly well IMO. Also wanted to tell you that I did notice the bulgarian crest on the stock. That would make the stock at least part of a Bulgarian contract.
    We have met the enemy and have learned nothing more about him. I have, however, learned some things about myself. There are things men can do to one another that are sobering to the soul. It is one thing to reconcile these things with God, but another to square it with yourself. - Robert Leckie

?

Oh okay, that's for letting me know about that. And it's a Bulgarian crest? I thought it was Austrian

Name:  Mann95BuCrest.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  7.3 KB

Looks like the Bulgarian crest to me.

?

Interesting. So you think it was either a Bulgarian contract or a put together of different pieces in recent years? I see no bulgarian markings on the metal

Yes. The stock I believe was but not sure about the rifle itself. Bulgarian contracts came stamped and unstamped.

?

Okay. Thank you very much for all the info!

You are very welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast