Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Deactivated gun problem

Article about: Hi guys, advice please concerning deactivated guns in the UK. I have a deactivated Thompson, but I have recently noticed that the trigger (which would have been welded up) has been freed lea

Default Deactivated gun problem

Hi guys, advice please concerning deactivated guns in the UK. I have a deactivated Thompson, but I have recently noticed that the trigger (which would have been welded up) has been freed leaving distinct tooling marks. The gun is otherwise properly deactivated.

I am well aware of the legal problems with deactivated guns that have been messed with and I don't plan to do nothing, so my question is, what is the correct legal course of action? I do not know anyone who can weld. Presumably the gun need to be re-deactivated? and if so, who should I speak to? Any help appreciated, Douglas

if this is an old deac then the trigger would not have been welded.

Thanks for your response. It isnt an old deac (2012) and clear traces of welding and tooling are visible.

?

If You have a certificate relating to the gun and the gun has been deactivated and is marked accordingly I wouldnt worry about it.

My new spec sten and Thompson have moving triggers- depends on who deactivated them, but I don't think its part of the required deactivation, so I wouldnt worry

Never known a welded trigger.

Some SMG's had welded triggers, others didn't. But if there is signs that the trigger was welded on your example, then I would suggest that the wisest course of action would be to have it welded again. I'm sure a friendly garage mechanic could do it for you. There wouldn't be a need to have it re-inspected if it was back to as it was. The police don't take kindly to any deactivation work being undone, so it really is best to be on the safe side and get it back to the condition it was in when proofed. Don't give the authorities the slightest excuse to take it off you if they inspected it.

Yes exactly. However I don't think I can take a sub machine gun into my local garage, and therein lies the problem.

Go in and explain to them, and take the certificate with you. Then ask them if they can help you out if you bring the gun in. Failing that, there must be an RFD near you who could help you out. Does the lower frame separate from the upper? It should do - even on a post 95 spec. There should be no need to take the whole gun.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks very much for the responses. I have asked around and found a local collector who can weld and will help me.