Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Deactivated guns legal in California?

Article about: by gew98 Guys here's the problem ... "deac" does not exist by definition according to the BATFE goons. The receiver constitutes the weapon and if it is not a C&R simply deactiv

Default Deactivated guns legal in California?

I'm inquiring on behalf of an American friend of mine, who shares my interests and would like to own one. We've both searched online, but found nothing of any help. Any information on it would be great. Thanks!

Mat

Default Re: Deactivated guns legal in California?

Thankfully I don't live in California. Their gun laws are some of the most restrictive in the U.S. Regardless I can't see a problem with a Deact firearm. Espesially if it has paperwork stating such from the BATFE. I would suggest that he calls the local BATFE office near him and ask this question. They will give him a straight anwser where his local law enforcement officials may not know the firearm laws as well as the BATFE agents. Usually the anwser I give people, is to move to another state, it's much easier than fighting or trying to figure out the gun laws there

Hope this helps

Burt

California is one of those wacky states with usual and very liberal gun laws. Check the California Highway Patrol website. Usually it's a states state police department that has the gun laws listed. Deactivated guns are usually legal everywhere.

?

it also depends on the type of weapon. if it is a rifle or hand gun that is deact. is should be no problem at all. if it was a full auto weapon, here in the states they are not as nice about deact's as in the UK. in the UK they are deact. and still look nice. here they want it cut up in pieces and welded back together, and they look really sad. i think the gov. is worried our creative machinists would find a way to make them functional again. so i would say it depends on the weapon, and how it is deact. and if it is or was a full auto if its method of deactivation is acceptable to the ATF or who ever has final say. best of luck though. i hope he can get it.
    andrew

Well; are you white and straight? then nothing is legal for you in California...

Thanks for the responses- He's a she actually, haha. Her name's Natalie, she'd be interested in WW2 Soviet weapons predominantly I think. I'm not sure what the availability or price of these is like for deactivated examples, but something like a Tokarev or a Nagant revolver would probably be first on the list. It's unfortunate to hear about automatic weapons though, I didn't realise laws were strict on even deactivated examples. I will suggest she asks someone at the BATFE about it as advised. Are deactivated weapons in the USA checked and certified like here in the UK?

Mat

If she wants a Tokarev or a Nagant revolver she should go ahead and buy a perfectly good functioning gun!! Don't waste her money on a deactivated firearm. Last time I checked we have not lost our 2nd Amendment rights yet. I'm sure she can find some locally fairly easily. The only deact issues she would have to address would be for Class 3 or Full Auto weapons. California also has a bunch of restrictions on "scary looking" military type semi autos like the AR-15's etc... But any thing else should be fine.

Burt

She would prefer a deactivated example anyway- she's interested in them as historical pieces like I am, and isn't just looking into deacts as an alternative to prohibited weapons or anything like that. Does anyone know if deactivated guns generally cost more or less than functioning equivalents over there? And can anyone suggest any online American dealers that sell deacts? I'm interested in seeing prices, since I know working guns are usually much cheaper than our deactivated ones.

Mat

?

Guys here's the problem ... "deac" does not exist by definition according to the BATFE goons. The receiver constitutes the weapon and if it is not a C&R simply deactivating it does not make it non a firearm under US federal bullsh*t laws , let alone more stringent state laws like "kalifornca". As well importation of a "foriegn deac" into the US will get your butt in a sling.

OK, I looked up a card I got from a gun show in Portland Oregon a while back. I have seen this guys guns and they are quite nice ones for display.

Collectable Dummy Firearms
    Dummy MG belted ammo, exotic, machine guns, etc. machine gun parts and accessories
    louis Caruso
    PO BOX 1541
    Cottage grove OR 97424
    1-541-870-1511

I hope she can find something she is looking for from him.

Good Luck
    Burt

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast