Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Dry fire a deactivated weapon

Article about: Hey Gents! What is your thoughts about dry firing a deactivated weapon, rifle, pistol and smgs? I've been very carefull about dry fire my weapons due to the fact that I'm a little scared of

Default Dry fire a deactivated weapon

Hey Gents!

What is your thoughts about dry firing a deactivated weapon, rifle, pistol and smgs?
    I've been very carefull about dry fire my weapons due to the fact that I'm a little scared of hurting the gun.

I know it might hurt the firing pin, but does that matter when it will never fire again?

Default Re: Dry fire a deactivated weapon

I know you shouldn't dry fire a live weapon often but the firing pin is usually removed in a deac, so no problem. I've never worried about hurting a deac weapon by doing that.

?

I would worry about dry firing a rimfire weapon (for obvious reasons), but as have been mentioned; the firing pin is often removed in deacs, so it hardly matters.
    Besides, deacs are useless hunks of metal anyway, so its not like you need to rely on operation in a pinch.
    They are all show and no go.

You specifically mentioned deacs, which by their very definition are real weapons rendered inoperative.
    How ever, there are some models looking like real weapons but made of inferior 'metal.' These were never meant to be fired, but only to look like the real thing (often they dont even accomplish that) hence they are made of pot metal. Prolonged working of the action and or dry firing it will eventually break something.

Why would you worry about dry firing an unfirable gun in the first place? If the firing pin is still there and Does break....where's the loss? How would a person even know?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

If the weapon has a lubricated firing pin then it's OK... especially if you have SnapCaps. But be aware that weapons like the 1911 45ACP should NEVER have the slide dropped without a round in the clip as it can and will break the external ejector.

Dry firing a deac is never really going to do much harm as it has been rendered incapable of discharging a shot. However, bare in mind if something does break, especially a controlled part, the chances of finding a replacement part will be pretty difficult. For example, if you fracture the piston post on a Bren, its a controlled part and you are unlikely to be able to get another. This isn't really a problem in this instance as its only an internal part and won't affect the dry firing action but I'm sure you get my drift.

I am only cautious about dry firing deacts if they fire from an open bolt. My BREN for example, makes a hell of a bang if it is dry fired. So I have only done it once or twice for fear of damaging something. Rifles and deacts that fire from a closed bolt however will not cause any damage I shouldn't have thought.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I am only cautious about dry firing deacts if they fire from an open bolt. My BREN for example, makes a hell of a bang if it is dry fired. So I have only done it once or twice for fear of damaging something. Rifles and deacts that fire from a closed bolt however will not cause any damage I shouldn't have thought.
    I've seen rifles break, I repaired a Enfield No1 Mk3 about 2 months ago where the cocking piece had sheared in 2, the actual cocking recess had fractured, this is as likely to happen to a live firer as a deac. The good news was that the cocking pieces aren't controlled so it was an easy fix.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    *SHLACK!*

I miss my Bren.