Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Dust Cover for Arasaka Rifle

Article about: I just picked up a dust cover for what I assume is a 7.7 mm arasaka rifle. I was able to slide it on except for approx. 1/4 inch. I can work the bolt and the cover slides back properly with

Default Dust Cover for Arasaka Rifle

I just picked up a dust cover for what I assume is a 7.7 mm arasaka rifle. I was able to slide it on except for approx. 1/4 inch. I can work the bolt and the cover slides back properly with the bolt when I work the action, but I can't get the bolt to fully close for firing. Before I try forcing it on the last 1/4 inch and possibly damage the cover or the rifle, I need to know if there is a difference between the dust cover for the 7.7 mm rifle and the dust cover for the 6.5 mm rifle or are they interchangeable ?
    Thanks,
    Vets Son

ian
    ?

Default Re: Dust Cover for Arasaka Rifle

hiya vets son hard to tell without pictures , mind you jap kit , i wouldnt know any way , but these guys here will help im sure,,,ian

There is a slight difference between the 6.5mm dust cover and the 7.7mm dust cover. From what I know they are not interchangeable, and like what you said...it will fit on, but not close completely. Do you have a type 38 rifle or a type 99?

(the type 38 has vertical japanese markings that means type 38 on the receiver while the type 99 has horizontal japanese markings that means type 99 on the receiver)

Hope this helps, cant wait to see what you have got! Mabey you can post some pictures?

Swayne

?

Why do you want to fire the rifle with a dust cover on it ?

Swayne--Thank you for the info. My rifle is a type 99 arisaka short rifle. I'd post pictures, but I'm not very savy when it comes to that sort of thing and I don't own a digital camera. I was hoping that the dust cover would fit (it doesn't have any markings on it), as I try to have the rifle the same as the original soldier had it, and my understanding is that they weren't permitted to take off the dust cover as it was the property of the emperor. Anyway it appears that what I have is the dust cover for the 6.5 mm. Anybody out there interested in trading this for a 7.7 mm dust cover?
    I won't be shooting the arisaka since ammo is a pain to secure and too expensive, but I do fire all the other weapons in my WW2 arms collection.
    Vets Son