Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Elderly revolver

Article about: Hello again, I know that this deac Webley is not strictly WW2 but hope that anyone can help me identify a stamp on it? The revolver is a Webley Mk "IV" 450/455 and I believe they w

Default Elderly revolver

Hello again,
    I know that this deac Webley is not strictly WW2 but hope that anyone can help me identify a stamp on it?
    The revolver is a Webley Mk "IV" 450/455 and I believe they were first manufactured in 1899, used in the Boer War and WW1.
    The mark I'm trying to understand reads; CA #underlined and over#; SAC.'05. Could the '05 be the date of manufacture for this one?
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Elderly revolver   Elderly revolver  

Elderly revolver  

Default Re: Elderly revolver

Hi Guy,

Nice birds head grip on that Webley! As far as the markings go the C.A stamp could possibly be an inspection stamp, I'm not sure. But I do know that the other stamp (that actually reads S.A.C. '06) stands for South African Constabulary '06. So it was produced for the South African Police in 1906. I'm sure some of the other guys can be more concise!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

>
    >
    >
    Interesting, This particular type is know as Boer War webley. So South Africa sounds convincing.

Excellent hunk of Webley Steel you have there! Do these need to be De-act'ed, seeing as how the shells are no longer available?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

If you live in the UK your "backside" needs to be de-act'ed incase it goes off in somebody,s face!! Quite rightly we don't let historical fire arms fall into the hands of clowns who have historical ammo!! Nice WEBLEY by the way!!

[QUOTE=big ned;764832]Hi Guy,

Nice birds head grip on that Webley! As far as the markings go the C.A stamp could possibly be an inspection stamp, I'm not sure. But I do know that the other stamp (that actually reads S.A.C. '06) stands for South African Constabulary '06. So it was produced for the South African Police in 1906. I'm sure some of the other guys can be more concise!

Thank you Ned and others for your replies,
    I had made a guess that SA could be for South African and had thought of Police but hadn't thought of Constabulary, How stupid, I should have remembered Royal Ulster Constabulary, partly because until the ban I had a pistol marked RUC. Reckon I should get a brain scan and a new pair of glasses so I can at least get the date right !
    Still Hoping one of our members may be able to help with the CA? I should never have stopped doing crossword puzzles, but will get on with editing my catalogue.
    Here's a pic of some of the other pistols in the collection.
    Cheers,
    Guy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Elderly revolver  

Fantastic Collection!

nice display/presentation. Thats just how I want to display my collection. Is it varnished ply?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    nice display/presentation. Thats just how I want to display my collection. Is it varnished ply?
    Hello,
    The timber is just as it came from the timber merchants, I had intended to paint it in camo colours or varnish but my brother in law who kindly fitted the panels to the walls suggested it would look better as is. I'm glad I took his advice as the collection is gradually increasing and everything constantly gets moved around. This is also why the lables are temporary and the holes in the timber will have to be filled when the limited space becomes totally full! (being an amputee this means more work for my brother in law), he's a good chap.
    Here's a couple of pics showing more of the collection, I think the shelves will have to come down next as the timber method is definitely better.
    Good luck with your project,
    Cheers,
    Guy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Elderly revolver   Elderly revolver  

Some great pieces there. Thanks for showing.........!

BTW, what are the UK laws regarding
    percussion and flint ?
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast