Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Enfield #4 Mk 1 reconstruction Problem

Article about: OK - look at these photos. I was given an Enfield #4 Mk 1 which had been sporterized several owners back. I decided to get the parts and return it to its original (more or less) configuratio

Default Enfield #4 Mk 1 reconstruction Problem

OK - look at these photos.

I was given an Enfield #4 Mk 1 which had been sporterized several owners back. I decided to get the parts and return it to its original (more or less) configuration.

thing is, I can't get the stuff on the muzzle end to fit.

In the photo you can see how spread apart the upper band remains. I've used a combination of clamps and more clamps to try to get it close enough for the screw to catch to no avail.

Worse, even if I did get the band to pull up, the front sight guard does not go far enough back to run its bolt through. As you can (hopefully) see in the photos, the sight backs against the end of the stock before the holes line up. Meanwhile, the sight itself barely lines up with the groove in the barrel for the retaining pin.

I've also included the marks on the gun showing the model and SN. Have I mis-identified this rifle? I notice that most No. 4 Mk 1 photos show the muzzle going further forward of the end of the handguards/stock than this one does.

Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

And yes, I WOULD like to actually use this gun.

Thanks!

George
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enfield #4 Mk 1 reconstruction Problem   Enfield #4 Mk 1 reconstruction Problem  

Enfield #4 Mk 1 reconstruction Problem   Enfield #4 Mk 1 reconstruction Problem  

Attached Images Attached Images Enfield #4 Mk 1 reconstruction Problem  Enfield #4 Mk 1 reconstruction Problem  Enfield #4 Mk 1 reconstruction Problem 

Default Re: Enfield #4 Mk 1 reconstruction Problem

I think unfortunately somebody has cut about 1 1/2'' off of the end of the barrel! Although this shouldn't effect the fitment of the muzzel end

Agreed as above-probable damage to muzzle caused it to be shortened as removing that little of the barrel would be pointless otherwise-you could get a replacement barrel if you wanted to go to the trouble...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enfield #4 Mk 1 reconstruction Problem  

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I think unfortunately somebody has cut about 1 1/2'' off of the end of the barrel! Although this shouldn't effect the fitment of the muzzel end
    Well, that kind of sux.

I kind of wondered about that, but couldn't figure how they trimmed the guides for the sight so well . . . maybe an actual professional did the sporterization?

So, what am I faced with? I could dismantle the top handguard and forearm and trim them down a little. Either trim the metal and make it slightly shorter (about 1/8" would do the trick) or carve the wood back. That still doesn't solve me problem with the forward band. Maybe try finding a longer bolt?

Other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

George

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Agreed as above-probable damage to muzzle caused it to be shortened as removing that little of the barrel would be pointless otherwise-you could get a replacement barrel if you wanted to go to the trouble...
    This photo is enlightening on several fronts. I now clearly see what you mean and how it would have been done. I also see why there should not be an issue with the front sights, etc.

So . . . why am I having trouble with this? Is there something at the action end of the wooden elements that is causing it to not be far enough back to clear? Or do I have an incorrect part?

In the photos, it kind of looks like the forearm in this photo is not as deep vertically as mine.

At least I know its not totally screwed up.

I think I'll see if I can't fix what I have since I'd just as soon not mess with the whole barrel . . . may as well get a new gun if that's the case ;-))

Thanks!

George

The removal of the end of the barrel on No.4s is quite common on sporterized conversions. They cut the end off because of the bayonet lugs, and that by ending the barrel in frontof the sight made it more like a true sporting rifle. People have re attached a reproduction part on the end, some without rifling for the look and some even timed the rifling to match.

It looks to me like the wood you are using is new old stock. If it is, you may have to rub the upper and lower stock parts (where they touch) on sand paper on glass for trueness. This will bring the metal caps closer together as it looks like you have quite a large gap there, and the band should fit better. The other thing you may need to do is bed the rifle correctly or you may get poor MPI with your shots. Go to the Lee Enfield section on milsurps.com and there is so much info there it will blow your mind. A good friend of mine, Mr Peter Laidler is a regular on the site (He is the senior UK military Armourer) and also Mr Ian Skenerton is a regular too and he is a well known Lee Enfield enthusiast and author. They have published books and articles on the subject of stocking up and the correct way to sight your rifle, there are also articles on restoring sporterised Enfields and you will find many people who have extended barrels previously.

Thanks, Bobby - very helpful. Some further notes:

- I got the sights to work. Turns out there was a burr on the back of the sight that was keeping the guard from going as far back as it should. Once I filed that off it slipped together perfectly. So, no worries there.

- You're right, the stock pieces are either NOS or just, basically, new . . . sort of. The gap closes up with hand pressure (and not a lot of it) but I'll revisit the edges and see if I can't pulll them a bit closer together. I can see what you mean about that making a difference.

- bedding the rifle correctly! Now there's a thought (and something I'll need instruction about). I'll be checking out the mlsurp site to see what I can be bewildered by ;-)).

Many thanks! this has been enormously helpful.

George