Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Enfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some help

Article about: I just saw this in a pawn shop and I Always wanted one but I think this is a put together gun he has 500 bucks on it!!! ouch. Maybe you guys have a better idea. I took what I could with phot

Default Enfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some help

I just saw this in a pawn shop and I Always wanted one but I think this is a put together gun he has 500 bucks on it!!! ouch. Maybe you guys have a better idea. I took what I could with photos.Enfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some helpEnfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some helpEnfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some helpEnfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some helpEnfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some helpEnfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some helpEnfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some helpEnfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some helpEnfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some helpEnfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some help

The first thing I notice is that the ball on the bolt handle is solid. On a true carbine this should be drilled out to lighten it.
    Your suspicions are likely correct.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I just picked up this longbranch enfield at the same store. Came with bayonet and it's all matching. Good Barrel and all. I paid 300 bucks for it. Only thing it has that black paint crap I forget what it is called. It will be a good shooter!Enfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some helpEnfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some help

?

Now I have only handled about three of this model.It looks like a No5 Mk1 ROF Fazakerley. The BSA has the M47C marking.
    What I'm not seeing that I have seen on the ones I have looked at is the marking on the left side of the receiver
    Should be No5MK1 ROF (F) with a date stamp and serial #. The one you posted only has the No5. Add to that , The bayonet lug has been cut off. It useless to a rifle/bayonet collector

I know that these are faked but never seen a faked one to be able to positively identify it as one.

I'm checking some of the military surplus rifle forums I am a member of and see if I can find out why there is the lack of the other markings on the one you posted.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

It is a fake. The No. 5 mark is on the wrong location on the receiver and it is marked "Produced by the Santa Fe Division of Golden State Arms Corporation". Golden State converted these from No. 4 rifles in the late 1950s and into the 60s when few if any No. 5 Carbines had come into the US.

You did okay with the No. 4 Longbranch, leave the fake carbine there unless they come way, way down. The Suncorite black finish is original, you do not want to remove it or you will severely reduce the value of your Longbranch.

The Longbranch looks fine, but the other one I wouldn't even want to fire it.Just a junker. The cosmoline on the #4 can be safely removed with care.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

bingo! I knew you guys are the pro's. I told the pawn shop guy before I left it was a put together piece. He knew it and agreed. I told him good luck with the carbine. Couldn't pass up the longbranch though. I knew what I was looking at for that. thanks for your help. I would give him like 150 bucks for the carbine but not 500. He had a nice RC capture ( 27 1940) good condition and wanted 500 bucks ..ouch

Yep, it's one of those dubious Jungle Carbines, they were somewhat common for a while, have always been a bit high priced, not worth it.

?

i noticed the carbine you posted is also missing the lightening cuts to the left side of the receiver, best way to tell a fake is to look where the barrel meets the receiver under the wood, a real one will have scalloped cuts in it. Also measurements of the barrel, distance between band and receiver and other spots can help to. I just purchased a carbine at the gunshow this past weekend for 500$ only down side is the flash hider is a post war replacement :/
    Enfield Carbine at pawn shop, need some help

USNV5 Is 100% correct... Made up junk...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...