Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Enfield no5 mk1 jungle carbine

Article about: Thoughts on the pick up this week. A real Enfield mk 5 Jungle Carbine made by ROF Fazakerley with matching bolt. All parts that I see with markings are marked with a F for Fazakerley, with t

Default Enfield no5 mk1 jungle carbine

Thoughts on the pick up this week. A real Enfield mk 5 Jungle Carbine made by ROF Fazakerley with matching bolt. All parts that I see with markings are marked with a F for Fazakerley, with that said I think the rifle is mostly original. The rifle is in over all good condition with the usual wear, this one was not a safe queen but was found in a house by the family I bought it from, the family never knew the rifle was there and believe it has not seen the light of day in 30plus years. Not sure if I am going to kept it but plan on shooting it after church this Sunday and may change my mind and make room for it. Slow internet tonight I can post more pictures tomorrow.
    Marty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enfield no5 mk1  jungle carbine   Enfield no5 mk1  jungle carbine  

Enfield no5 mk1  jungle carbine   Enfield no5 mk1  jungle carbine  

Enfield no5 mk1  jungle carbine  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enfield no5 mk1  jungle carbine   Enfield no5 mk1  jungle carbine  

Watch your shoulder as these things reportedly kick like a mule!

?

Nice looking rifle! I love to shoot mine - recoil isn't as bad as some people think...but I'm used to shooting Soviet M91/30s so my perspective may be suspect.

Are any of the markings evident on the furniture? The Sn was marked on the underside of the forestock - it looks as if someone may have refinished the stock on yours. Here's what mine looks like (mine is a BSA).

Enfield no5 mk1  jungle carbine Enfield no5 mk1  jungle carbine

?

A lot of these about in the UK at moment. Don't know what country they have come from.

Talking about the recoil, British Army Cadets used the No.4 version for years as their standard weapon.
    A friend who was a cadet in the 1980's remembers some of these being issued on camp one year. Apparently a few cadets were reduced to tears when firing them.

[QUOTE=MarkV;1820864]Nice looking rifle! I love to shoot mine - recoil isn't as bad as some people think...but I'm used to shooting Soviet M91/30s so my perspective may be suspect.

Are any of the markings evident on the furniture? The Sn was marked on the underside of the forestock - it looks as if someone may have refinished the stock on yours. Here's what mine looks like (mine is a BSA)

I did look for marking on the stock and did not find any. The wood does have a applied finish of some kind but has worn off in some places. I did not get a great deal on the rifle but I got it a lot lower than the asking price.
    Mark I looked at your old post last week when you were looking for a carbine and you did find a really nice one.
    Marty

- - ------- - -

[QUOTE=tank destroyer;1820890]
    Quote by MarkV View Post
    Nice looking rifle! I love to shoot mine - recoil isn't as bad as some people think...but I'm used to shooting Soviet M91/30s so my perspective may be suspect.

Are any of the markings evident on the furniture? The Sn was marked on the underside of the forestock - it looks as if someone may have refinished the stock on yours. Here's what mine looks like (mine is a BSA)

I did look for marking on the stock and did not find any. The wood does have a applied finish of some kind but has worn off in some places. I did not get a great deal on the rifle but I got it a lot lower than the asking price.
    Mark I looked at your old post last week when you were looking for a carbine and you did find a really nice one.
    Marty

I had another person confirm my suspicions that the finish is tung oil or linseed
    Marty

?

[QUOTE=tank destroyer;1820890][QUOTE=MarkV;1820864]Nice looking rifle! I love to shoot mine - recoil isn't as bad as some people think...but I'm used to shooting Soviet M91/30s so my perspective may be suspect.

Marty

- - ------- - -

Marty,

I had no clue when I bought it that it was pretty much all matching. The only think without the correct markings was the magazine...and that was totally wrong (a Longbranch-marked mag). I was extremely fortunate.

It is, though, one of my favorites to shoot.

I believe from the marking on the barrel cut the rifle was sent to New Zealand.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enfield no5 mk1  jungle carbine  

?

Excellent find Marty!!!
    I have always liked these. It was the rifle my Father gave me to use on the first deer hunts he took me on.

Great memories
    Thanks!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast