Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Enfield SMLE - East Kent Regiment

Article about: Hello folks. With the War & Peace Show looking increasingly unlikely this year, I decided to dip into my savings and buy something online instead (the virus hasn't figured out how to tra

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A nice rifle Brodie, as indeed is any 'Smelly.' The finest and fasted bolt-action rifle ever designed. But that rear sight is for a Mk111* - although it was likely changed when refurbished. The butt disc looks as though it doesn't belong to the rifle. A bit difficult to explain, but the circular cut-out for the disc tends to get rounded edges, with the disc sitting slightly lower through the passage of time. Aside from that, it is an absolute classic - and lethal in the right hands. Read up on how the British infantryman armed with the SMLE saved the day (and possible defeat) in their action at Nonne Bosche in November 1914. The situation was unbelievably dire, had the Germans broken through the line, the war would have been over.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Going on the later cocking piece and the rear sight, this rifle must have been refurbished before it was passed to the Australians. Or maybe they did it themselves. The rear sight actually matches the rifle, with the serial number '407' stamped on the underside. It must have been force-matched when the rifle was reworked. I had doubts about the butt disc myself, but from what I've been able to determine it itself is original, even if it's not original to the rifle. It has the right level of patina and verdigris buildup, and it looks the part, so that doesn't bother me too much.

So it seems that this rifle has been extensively reworked. But considering it's over 105 years old, I'd be surprised if it hadn't been! I do wonder how many truly unmessed-with rifles still exist on the collector's market, in museums, etc. There can't be all that many, given the passage of time and their extensive postwar service.

I've heard the stories of infantry battalions putting down so much fire with these rifles, they convinced the Germans on the opposing side that they were under machine gun fire. The 'mad minute' can't have had much practical application in battle, but with such a smooth action, I can see how easy it would have been for a trained operator to put a lot of fire downrange in a short space of time.

Whatever this particular rifle's postwar pedigree, it's a certainty that it's been to hell and back more than a few times.

Regards, B.B.

I never had the pleasure of firing an SMLE... but I used the No 4 on many occasions while serving as an army cadet in the early 1960'S. I actually achieved my 'Marksman 1st Class' badge, and although left-handed - a hell of a handicap with a bolt action rifle - I could easily get 10 rounds per minute out of it. I would beg to disagree about the 'mad minute' having no practical application in battle Brodie.

The pre war infantryman that went to France in August 1914 was trained to let off between 15 and 20 AIMED shots per minute… with some even reaching as many as 30 shots. The Germans suffered terrible casualties along the Mons-Conde canal at the hands of the British infantry during August 1914 and again on November 11th 1914 at Nonne Boschen when the German 11th Battalion of the 2nd Grenadier Regiment lost its battalion staff, all the company officers, and nearly all the senior non commissioned officers. The situation was so dire and confusing that the regimental war diary of the 1/King's reported that it found itself 'supported on the right by the Prussian Guard.'

Further information on the perilous situation during that battle... this being from the official records: 'Military Operations France And Belgium 1914' (Volume 2).

A wounded German officer captured on the western side of the wood actually asked a battery commander "where are your reserves?" The answer was to point to the line of guns. Obviously disbelieving, the German then said "What is there behind?" and on getting the reply "divisional headquarters", he exclaimed from the depth of his heart, in German, "God almighty!"

So when you cradle your 'Smelly', you are holding a tangible link with the ferocious battles fought and won by the small arms skills of the British Tommy... the like of which has never been since those dark days of 1914.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I never had the pleasure of firing an SMLE... but I used the No 4 on many occasions while serving as an army cadet in the early 1960'S. I actually achieved my 'Marksman 1st Class' badge, and although left-handed - a hell of a handicap with a bolt action rifle - I could easily get 10 rounds per minute out of it.
    Me too But I learned to fire right-handed so when I moved on to the SLR in regular service I found I could shoot equally well from either shoulder, winning!!

As for the "mad minute" I have to disagree also. As Steve points out; these were aimed shots not just wild fire with the aim of laying down as much fire in an intense application as possible. Today it is generally called "suppressive fire".

Wildfire does occur and it can still have an effect but believe me when I say that experienced soldiers can quickly tell the difference between a high volume of random fire and what is referred to as "effective enemy fire"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you both!

Upon looking further into the 'Mad Minute', I have discovered that it was in fact an effective tactic, as you've pointed out. The accuracy and volume of fire a single soldier could put downrange with one of these rifles is truly staggering. I suppose that's why the SMLE was so long-lived. It did its job, and it did it well. Even holding a deactivated example, you can feel how well-engineered it is. 100 years old, but the action is still smooth, everything fits as it should, and it's still holding itself together.

I've just ordered a Pattern 1907 bayonet to accompany it. 1915 Enfield manufacture, so it'll match the rifle. 17 inches seems a tad excessive in terms of blade length, especially in the cramped trench environments it would have been used in. But to me, the bayonet is every bit as iconic as the rifle it goes with.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    17 inches seems a tad excessive in terms of blade length, especially in the cramped trench environments it would have been used in. But to me, the bayonet is every bit as iconic as the rifle it goes with.

B.B.
    Yes which is ultimately what led to the awful little "pig sticker" that followed it with the No4.

However, I think it is important to put the thing into context and recall the original ethos behind the bayonet.

The bayonet on the end of a rifle is really a descendant of the infantry pike. A long stick with a spike on the end if you will. It's purpose was to stab the enemy whilst he was as far away from you as possible and therefore unable to attack you with his sword etc.

The bayonet and SMLE combination did this rather well and now that you have one, fit the bayonet. Now hold the rifle with a full grip of one hand on the small of the butt and a full grip of the forestock in between the upper and middle sling swivels. Extend both arms down and note just how confined a space you can wield it in. By bending the elbows accordingly you can raise the rifle above your head and stab down also within the width of a trench. Magic

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Yes which is ultimately what led to the awful little "pig sticker" that followed it with the No4.

However, I think it is important to put the thing into context and recall the original ethos behind the bayonet.

The bayonet on the end of a rifle is really a descendant of the infantry pike. A long stick with a spike on the end if you will. It's purpose was to stab the enemy whilst he was as far away from you as possible and therefore unable to attack you with his sword etc.

The bayonet and SMLE combination did this rather well and now that you have one, fit the bayonet. Now hold the rifle with a full grip of one hand on the small of the butt and a full grip of the forestock in between the upper and middle sling swivels. Extend both arms down and note just how confined a space you can wield it in. By bending the elbows accordingly you can raise the rifle above your head and stab down also within the width of a trench. Magic

Regards

Mark
    I'll give that a go when the bayonet turns up. Hopefully the neighbours don't spot me doing it, or they might start getting some funny ideas!

The Pattern 1907 bayonet is definitely a formidable piece, but I can see the 'pig sticker' having its own advantages. It was much shorter, and a smooth spike is much less likely to get stuck in the enemy's ribs. I think they were used for mine probing, too, attached to the bottom end of an entrenching tool. Still, it is an ugly little thing. I can see why they aren't all that popular with collectors.

B.B.

I have a 1916 Enfield manufactured one that hasn't been castrated. I shoot it regularly and periodically a couple of friends and I do a mad minute which is somewhat impressive. As for the bayonet, with it in place it shoots exactly the same as without, but looks handsome with 17 inches of Wilkinson Swords best on it. Indeed it performs better with the additional weight cutting down on the recoil

My other First War piece a 1916 Spandau manufactured G98 is on the other hand completely different. It is unpleasant to shoot generally and with the bayonet fitted (I have about 6 of them including an original Saw-back) it is bloody awful. The only dissapointing side to the SMLE is that it was designed to shoot to 4 minutes of angle and is not as accurate as I would like, but I've ordered a No4T with a No32 on it that should resolve that.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    I have a 1916 Enfield manufactured one that hasn't been castrated. I shoot it regularly and periodically a couple of friends and I do a mad minute which is somewhat impressive. As for the bayonet, with it in place it shoots exactly the same as without, but looks handsome with 17 inches of Wilkinson Swords best on it. Indeed it performs better with the additional weight cutting down on the recoil

My other First War piece a 1916 Spandau manufactured G98 is on the other hand completely different. It is unpleasant to shoot generally and with the bayonet fitted (I have about 6 of them including an original Saw-back) it is bloody awful. The only dissapointing side to the SMLE is that it was designed to shoot to 4 minutes of angle and is not as accurate as I would like, but I've ordered a No4T with a No32 on it that should resolve that.
    You're lucky to have examples that still function. I'd aim for a firearms certificate myself, but there are simply too many hoops to jump through. Deacts can be displayed in the open, at least, rather than having to be locked up in a steel cabinet.

Is the No.4T an original?

B.B.

Further to the Pattern 1907 bayonet... you might find this interesting Brodie. As anyone who has served in the forces will tell you, all drill commands come in two parts. The first part warns you of the command, and the second part is acted upon: for the sake of argument, lets use the command for standing at ease: 'Stand at...…… Ease!' The last word being bawled out.

The drill instructors of old were a feared lot, and even when I was in training my Sergeant was, to put it bluntly... an absolute bastard. But that is a tale for perhaps another time. There was a certain drill instructor during the early part of WW1 who was taking the raw recruits for bayonet practice, and as usual, the order was split into two parts. The following conversation was remembered by one of those poor unfortunate souls who happened to be present.

"When I give you the order to 'fix bayonets', you grip the handle of the bayonet with the left hand and push downwards, and at the same time thrust the rifle forward with the right hand, pull the bayonet out of the scabbard, bring it around to the front and mount it on the rifle and give it a slap to make sure it's on. So remember... when I shout 'fix'... you don't fix, and when I shout 'bayonets'... you whip it out and whop it on."

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I can see the 'pig sticker' having its own advantages. I think they were used for mine probing, too, attached to the bottom end of an entrenching tool.B.B.
    Exactly so;

Enfield SMLE - East Kent Regiment

Probably the best use of the thing overall!

Regards

Mark

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast