Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Finnish WWII rifle sling

Article about: Recently I got a Russian Mosin Nagant M1891 rifle. The rifle is dated 1916 and made in Izhevsk. The rifle butt has a stamp “Deutsches Reich” (German Empire). This stamp means that the rifle

Default Finnish WWII rifle sling

Recently I got a Russian Mosin Nagant M1891 rifle. The rifle is dated 1916 and made in Izhevsk. The rifle butt has a stamp “Deutsches Reich” (German Empire). This stamp means that the rifle was captured by the Germans during WWI and later on sold to the Finns because the rifle also has the well-known Finnish “SA” stamp. The rifle is originally Russian made but it seems that it has longer served in the Finnish army than by the Russian army. For that reason I am looking for a Finnish WWII Mosin Nagant rifle sling. I am not sure how a Finnish rifle sling looks like, so for that reason I am searching for good pictures of a Finnish WWII Mosin Nagant rifle sling. Maybe somebody can help me to get these pictures.

Default Re: Finnish WWII rifle sling

Hello-if the rifle hasn't been rebuilt into a later Finnish model as most were, it would be more correct to use a Russian sling-these were common issue to Finnish forces after independence and into the 1920s, also quantities of the web slings were captured from the Soviets during the Winter & Continuation campaigns during WW2. The local Finnish made slings were more often seen on their own models as mounting systems were altered on some of these.

partisan42
    ?

This web site should be of some help to you. It has great information on Finnish military gear including slings.

Finnish Junkyard

Difficult matter. Lithgow, what do you exactly mean with a Finnish rebuilt Mosin Nagant rifle? Do you mean the rifle is rebuilt with parts both from Russia and Finland? Most parts of the rifle are marked with the Russian pre 1928 Izhevsk marking (Bow and Arrow). It gives me the idea that the rifle is almost in its original composition.
    I am only doubt about the rifle butt with the German “Deutches Reich” stamp. Looking at this webpage; Other Country's Mosin Nagant Marks , I see a lot of examples of German WWI property/depot markings. These markings should be placed on the receiver. The receiver/barrel of my Mosin Nagant has only Russian markings and the Finnish “SA” marking. Does all Mosin Nagant rifles, which are captured during WWI by the Germans, has German markings both on the receiver and rifle butt?
    About the rifle sling. From this website; Finnish Junkyard , I understood that captured Russian rifle slings are mostly also marked with the “SA” stamp.

Hello-does your rifle's serial no.s match the no. on the buttplate? Many different countries provided rifles to the Finns by capture, sale or gift and many were cannibalised to provide parts. As you may know, most rifles were rebuilt/remanufactured into later Finnish types, usually with the receivers scrubbed and existing marks ground off to be replaced with Finnish stamps. As yours is described as unmodified it would have been placed in reserve by the 1930s but brought out for use in 1939. What type of sling mounts are on your rifle and do you have any pictures you could post please? The Mosin Nagant rifles have some of the most varied, convoluted and interesting histories of any of the major world combat arms!