Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Flammenwerfer restoration project

Article about: Very nice car. I have found that flamethrower and artillery piece restoration is nothing compared to vehicles. Good luck. Have some boys. It really does help on vehicle restoration. Of cours

?

Default Re: Flammenwerfer restoration project

I have also done some work on the "Strahlrohr" as well. The mechanism on this first type Strahlrohr is electrical ignition, of a hydrogen pilot-flame, wich in turn ignite the oil-mixture.

I cleaned the mechanism and placed 4 AA batteries, where the original two batteries should be. I placed a small lightbulb in place of the "Glühkopf" that ignites the hydrogen. I then activated the curcuit with a small screwdriver.

And the electrical circuit still works

?

I then put a piece of tin-foil between the contacts, an put the original cover on, for a couple of more pictures

?

Great job Bjørn

I had not heard from you in a while and thought it was me. I watch the boards on my phone buy have not had much time to post lately either.

Congratulations on the wedding. We should have had you and your bride walk under crossed flamethrowers instead of swords.

?

I then repaired the firing handle, wich was broken off. I also had to cut out, and reconstruct the two thin bolts, that activates the electrical switch, and the valve for the hydrogen gas. The same handle, also opens the oil-valve, when pulled all the way back. Its really a quite intricate and complex mechanism.
    Anyway, Everything works as it should on this Strahlrohr now.
    The lightbulb will stay where it is, as it's a nice way to demonstrate and display the electric ignition

?

COPDOC! Nice to see you again
    How are you?

Congratulations on the wedding. We should have had you and your bride walk under crossed flamethrowers instead of swords.
    Thanks
    Well we did the next best thing thou - We got married in a german coastal fortress bunker from the war

We took the wedding photos on different places around the fortress.
    The car is part of my collection, and is a 36 model Opel Olympia, former german staff car

Flak position:

?

Well. Perhaps a little off topic now. Back to German flamethrowers again

I have also got hold of no less then three original Abwehr-flammenwerfer 42's for my collection. These are currently undergoing restoration.

?

Beautiful lady, beautiful scenery, great car, interesting location...................and you cleaned up pretty good. Hope you have many years of happy marriage.
    The car is part of a collection????? Car collection or your militaria?

?

The first one is completely restored now. The second one is almost finished. I only have to apply the text in white paint. The third one, i will restore during the winter.

I also got hold of a very nice working condition, Glühzündapparat 37, wich was used to set these buggers off.

?

Quote by copdoc View Post
    Beautiful lady, beautiful scenery, great car, interesting location...................and you cleaned up pretty good. Hope you have many years of happy marriage.
    The car is part of a collection????? Car collection or your militaria?

Wow Thanks Copdoc. Yep - I cleaned up pretty good
    The car is part of my militaria collection. It needs a restoration and new paint. I have found 7 layers of post war paint on it. one of the oldest layers is wehrmacht-grey., and that is the colour it will have, when it's done

Here is a picture of a identical car on the same coastal fortress during the war:

Last edited by Bjørn; 10-07-2011 at 01:49 AM.

?

Back to flamethrowers again
    One of the Abwehr-Flammenwerfer 42's had quite a bit of original oil, or "Flammöl 19" still left in the tank.
    I've filled up a old liquor bottle with some of the oil, and made new labels for it. A very cool flamethrower related display item

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast