Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Flammenwerfer restoration project

Article about: Very nice car. I have found that flamethrower and artillery piece restoration is nothing compared to vehicles. Good luck. Have some boys. It really does help on vehicle restoration. Of cours

?

Gentlemen.
    My photobucket account is now up and running again

I am in the process of doing a in-depth study, and collecting original parts for the Kleiner Flammenwerfer.

(this type of flamethrower is mostly - wrongfully known as the Flammenwerfer 34 or 35. This abbreviation is a post war-colletor imposed name for this weapon. It would be more correct to name it as a flammenwerfer 38, as this was the year that this weapon was adopted for use by the Wehrmacht. All original german wartime documentation regarding this weapon, is mentioning it as the "Kleiner Flammenwerfer")
    There is a lot of wrong and mis-information about this weapon, and how it really works around on the internet.
    Even in the magazine, Waffen Arsenal there is substantional errors, regarding the flamethrower.

But how rare are these flamethrowers today? How many has survived? The later Flammenwerfer 41 is somewhat rare, but quite a few surviving examples are known.
    The Kleiner flammenwerfer on the other hand, seems to be almost non-existing, or really, really scarce.
    I have not even been able to find any good modern pictures of this weapon.
    I know that there is, or was a example on display, in the War Museum in Kiev, Ukraine according to this:

Flammenwerfer 35 - Ogólnopolski miesi?cznik ODKRYWCA

The Kiev Flammenwerfer:

I have found another picture, from a storage room in another museum, but with a flamethrower that seems to be restored, by unknowing personel.
    On this example, the small hydrogen tank is connected to the large oil and nitrogen tank, with a metal pipe wich belongs to a flammenwerfer 41. This tank configuration will not work at all on a flamethrower. The Tragegestell however looks to be a rare original example.

So my question is, how rare are these flamethrowers today? How many surviving examples are known, and how many of these are in private collections?
    I regard the members and participants of this forum, to be the most qualified people regarding german flamethrowers, and also the most likely people to chime in with good substancial information and knowledge.
    I will post some pictures of my own Kleiner Flammenwerfer project later this afternoon.

What a fascinating thread! Thanks for sharing.

?

I'm glad you like the thread, Chris
    I hope we can keep the momentum here, and continue sharing constructive information and knowledge

Here are some pictures of what I have gathered for the Kleiner flammenwerfer so far.
    What I have here is the model 1938 wand, or Strahlröhr, Original carrying frame (missing the straps), both tanks - The large one for the Flammöl 19 mixture and preassurized nitrogen, and the small tank for the ignition Hydrogen, and I have some of the hardware for the harness or carrying straps.

Close up pictures of the original labels on the tankset. Unfortinently, the small Hydrogen tank has been painted black postwar. (But I may have a lead on a Hydrogen tank, with it's original color still intact.

The large tank:

The Hydrogen tank:

Here are the hardware for the harness/carrying straps. The left side portion is a complete set. The right side are missing some parts. (wich I am on a constant lookout for a sorce of original parts).

Detail of the attachment of the large tank in the "Tragegestell"

Detail of the springs/back support in the carrying frame. The canvas cover is original, but the original leather straps for securing the cover to the frame were beyond salvage. I am currently looking into having these leather straps replaced.
    There is a lot of original paint on this carrying frame. It's in really good condition.

The electric ignition mechanism in the wand/Strahlröhr demonstrated with a lightbulb in place of the original "Glühkopf"

And a couple of overall shots of the set that I have collected so far:

So as you can see, I have found some good original parts, but I am still missing the main valve/crane that is supposed to be under the large tank, and I'm missing the flexible hose for the set, and I'm missing parts for the carrying strap hardware. I do have some good cloth straps, wich will fit quite nicely to this set.

If anyone have, or knows of some of the missing parts (also ground dug parts) I would be very interested. I am putting together a museum quality "Kleiner Flammenwerfer" in deactivated condition, for historical display and study - so any parts goes, even damaged parts or parts with defects.

I hope you like the pictures. And I'm always interested in seeing more pictures from other surviving specimens as well. Like I mentioned earlier, I have not been able to find good modern pictures of other examples yet.

Best Regards
    Björn

Very interesting restoration Björn, and I hope you get the parts you need.

?

Thanks

And for a interesting comparisment, Here are the ww2 models of the German Strahlröhre.

From the top: The 1938 model, for Kleiner Flammenwerfer
    Second, the Electric/hydrogen firing 1941 model, for Flammenwerfer 41
    and the two on the bottom, the cartridge firing 1942 model, for flammenwertfer 41.

Best Regards
    Björn

Poor cat !!!!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

No cats have been harmed during the photoshoots

?

They're being treated like kings and queens around here.
    And yes, that is a original General's uniform from my collection, wich he found suitable to use as a bed.

?

And time flies, for sure. I was looking back at some earlier posts in this thread, and in post #42 from 2011, I mentioned my wife being pregnant, so help with the collection was on its way.

My daughter Lydia is now 6 years old, and absolutely helping me where she can on my projects.

"Daddy, this generator - I want it! Can I have it?" she said, or shouted as she was more or less dancing on top of a British military generator from ww2.
    One of my other projects that I'm working on, is standing in the background

And if this wasn't enough, even more help with the collection is coming along.
    2 years ago, we got a son as well, Björn Wilhelm.
    He's a bit young still, but he loves playing with cars and my toolboxes, so I think he will grow into a good mechanic

?

Hi all,

I am starting an restoration on an FmW41 too. It is the later model with the cartridge firing mechanism. I only have the oil tank and the wand at the moment, so I am looking for parts! I am willing to work with you. Distance is no problem. Shoot me a line at peacemillion44 'at' hotmail.com
    Kind regards,
    Stijn

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast