Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

FN HighPower Rig Waffen Marked

Article about: I just picked up this complete Rig last weekend at the Houston Gun Show. It is in great condition with a well marked holster with two mags that are Waffen marked. I was told that this Pistol

Default FN HighPower Rig Waffen Marked

I just picked up this complete Rig last weekend at the Houston Gun Show. It is in great condition with a well marked holster with two mags that are Waffen marked. I was told that this Pistol is circa 1943 but I do not know for sure and do not have any books on these pistols to tell me. I am looking for help on this as well as your opinions on this Rig. Thank you all in advance!

Regards,

Jeff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FN HighPower Rig Waffen Marked   FN HighPower Rig Waffen Marked  

FN HighPower Rig Waffen Marked   FN HighPower Rig Waffen Marked  

FN HighPower Rig Waffen Marked   FN HighPower Rig Waffen Marked  

FN HighPower Rig Waffen Marked  

Default Re: FN HighPower Rig Waffen Marked

I think it is as you were told, and it might be somewhat earlier. I have no reference
    at hand at the moment to tell what period it was made from the Waffenamt #'s.
    There were three I believe.

It's in great condition. A beautiful 640b 'Occupation' Browning HP, and I think
    it is a complete original rig. Congrats.................!

Here is mine - 1943/44, late production, 'b' serial range - for comparison. Maybe I'm
    wrong, but it seems a bit rougher than your piece, and finishes did get worse
    as the war progressed. Anyway, yours is a bit earlier than this one:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FN HighPower Rig Waffen Marked  
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-20-2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Thank you for the comment my friend. I think yours is in about the same condition is not better than mine. I am mainly a Luger and P-38 collector but I have a big thing for complete Rigs. Although I did not know and still do not know much about them I had to pick this piece up. From what i know about the production finishes on these pistols I would say that 1943 is in the right ball-park as you agreed. It only has a couple of areas where the milling is rough and the finish is nice and smooth. All together I am happy with it.

Jeff

More info Jeff, gleaned from 'The Browning High Power' by R. Blake Stevens.............

WaA 613 - 1st Waffenamt number under occupation, 1940/41. Majority of pistols
    were made from existing FN stock parts.

WaA 103 - 1941 only. 'Short lived' Waffenamt with only 25,000 pistols
    produced under this regime.

WaA 140 - Last Waffenamt used, late 1941 to September '44
    when the Germans 'bugged out'.

In early 1943, a new serial numbering scheme was adopted, consisting of a 5 digit
    number with a letter suffix - 'a' for the first 100,000 pistols. Plastic grips were
    used to augment supply. There were 101,000 produced that year.
    Late 1943 and into '44 was made up of the 'b' series with
    63,000 produced before the Germans left.

Total occupation production was 319,000 units.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-20-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Thank you my friend for the info! I always try and learn as much as I can about as much as I can but it always seems whatever I come across I have not reaserched enough! Always glad to get a helping hand from all of the guys like you on here though.

Jeff

I try to research as much as I can as well - that's why I joined
    WRF - but I also love the Browning HP..................!

Again, great pistol rig you've got there, Jeff !
    Regards,

Steve.