Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

A free Japanese rifle...

Article about: Forgot to ask about the sword. Anymore info on that concerning country of origin? Looks really nice.

?

Default Re: A free Japanese rifle...

Joe,
    You could always buy a sporterized original stock and reuse the wooden butt plate. Another option might be to fill the the void in the existing one and harden it with clear coat.

For example only, you would need to find an adequate match:
    WW2 Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Stock Sporter Lot 8 | eBay
    Last edited by relicz; 03-11-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    Regards,
    John

Joe. it looks like it cleaned up well.
    Great looking rifle.
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Quote by relicz View Post
    Joe,
    You could always buy a sporterized original stock and reuse the wooden but plate. Another option might be to fill the the void in the existing one and harden it with clear coat.

For example only, you would need to find an adequate match:
    WW2 Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Stock Sporter Lot 8 | eBay
    Thanks, John. I think your suggestion is going to be my best bet.

I'm going to have a custom wood worker take a look at the bayonet. I'll bring him the complete example that's on my Type38 and have him compare/ color match to make new grips for the bayonet that the security guard have me.

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    Joe. it looks like it cleaned up well.
    Great looking rifle.
    John
    Thanks, John! I'm thrilled that it has the intact chrysanthemum and matching numbers!!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Unfortunately, the water damage area to the wood butt plate literally crumbled and fell out of the stock. I tried to clean out the rotted area a little...

Attachment 481729
    A friend of mine had this problem with a K98k stock, he used this stuff (#2) Buy Boron Rods, Boron Gel and Boron Paste for Woodworm and Rot treatments it worked really well and he then spliced another piece of wood onto the stock and carved it to shape.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    A friend of mine had this problem with a K98k stock, he used this stuff (#2) Buy Boron Rods, Boron Gel and Boron Paste for Woodworm and Rot treatments it worked really well and he then spliced another piece of wood onto the stock and carved it to shape.
    That seems like it might be worth looking into. Only the top 1/10th of the butt plate seems to be rotted... That must have been exactly where it made contact with the damp basement floor. The problem w splicing another piece of wood on it will be matching color and especially wood type... I don't think this type of tree grows in North America, so I'd have to find a close match.

I still think my best bet will be finding a junk stock that I can steal the butt plate from. From there, I'll have the issue of prying the old butt plate off and then nailing the new one on.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    That seems like it might be worth looking into. Only the top 1/10th of the butt plate seems to be rotted... That must have been exactly where it made contact with the damp basement floor. The problem w splicing another piece of wood on it will be matching color and especially wood type... I don't think this type of tree grows in North America, so I'd have to find a close match.

I still think my best bet will be finding a junk stock that I can steal the butt plate from. From there, I'll have the issue of prying the old butt plate off and then nailing the new one on.
    It's well worth a try if you can't find another stock!...

The top of the buttplate has the texture of old, soggy cork. The rifle was dropped and another chunk came off.
    A free Japanese rifle...

In happier news, I just spoke to my custom woodworker. Without hesitation he said he could make up replacement wood grip panels for the bayonet AND color match it to the grips on the other intact Japanese rifle in my collection.

I asked him about helping to replace the buttplate, too! Again, he is confident he can do it.

NOW I'M ON THE LOOKOUT FOR AN AUTHENTIC WOODEN BUTTPLATE!

Did a great job so far. Hope you find the butt plate.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast