Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

A free Japanese rifle...

Article about: Forgot to ask about the sword. Anymore info on that concerning country of origin? Looks really nice.

Default Re: A free Japanese rifle...

Thanks!

The rifle and bayonet are currently at the woodworkers shop.

He is going to make up some grips for the bayonet using my other Type 30 bayonet as a reference.

For the rifle buttplate, he is going to pop off the rotted out original buttplate and then we will decide the best course of action. He said the original buttplate is shot, so it looks like we won't be repairing that.

I ordered two replacement buttplates...

One is authentic, off of a junked/ parted out last-ditch Type99 rifle.

The other is a reproduction that Steve Schaefer, a long time Banzai subscriber and respected Japanese collector made up. With this butt plate, you cut and sand it to size and then color match it with stain.

What has me concerned/ confused is the different nails. I have what is supposed to be an all authentic buttplate and authentic nail combo and a repro buttplate using nails that are supposed to be incredibly close to authentic...

Hmmm...?

A free Japanese rifle...

The original may require some fitting - as the dimensions
    are likely off some - but I'd want to use that one
    with the original nails.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for taking a look, Steve.

The woodworker is doing his best to use the authentic buttplate. We eyeballed it and it should fit. I'm slightly worried about the authentic screws I purchased being too big... But I trust the woodworker to do a good job.

The woodworker says he took the sword out of the barn and will bring it in when the rifle is completed.

Am sure it will look great and well worth the effort. Man thought of a wooden butt plate blows my mind.

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Am sure it will look great and well worth the effort. Man thought of a wooden butt plate blows my mind.
    Desperate times...

Just an update, folks...

The rifle is still at the woodworkers getting the buttplate situation figured out. Evidently this time of the year is busy for them... who knew there was such a thing as Easter furniture? Hopefully I'll get it back by early next week... I am desperate to shoot it ASAP!

In the mean time, I am a stickler about completing my rifles. The problem with completing Arisakas is that often the accessories cost more than the rifles themselves. I wanted a sling for this rifle, but refused to pay $400 for a proper and authentic late war canvas or rubberized sling. Beyond that, these slings are often rock hard or so super fragile that they're impossible to attached and use.

Instead, I opted for a reproduction leather sling. I purchased one made out of vintage leather and I think it'll look great on my "last ditch" rifle.

A free Japanese rifle...

The other option would have been a reproduction sling made out of new leather... I think this would be an eyesore on my salty warhorse.
    A free Japanese rifle...

?

Looks good. Far better looking sling for the old warhorse than a skimpy looking repro from what looks like a low leather quality to boot.

Thanks, Scout!

I can't wait for this rifle to be back in my possession... not to mention the sword that I could potentially get!

Yep I think the rifle will look much more original with the sling you picked out Gizmo. Brand new repros stick out like a sore thumb. Man $400 for a genuine sling? Don't forget my friend paid $25 dollars for his Type 99 rifle back in the 70s. LOL.

There's a sling currently on ebay for $350 or $425 buy it now. One is currently sitting at $50 but bidding has a loonngg way to go and it's being described as "stiff".

I figured a repro that looks the part to anyone but the experts is good enough for me.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast