Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18

A free Japanese rifle...

Article about: Forgot to ask about the sword. Anymore info on that concerning country of origin? Looks really nice.

Default Re: A free Japanese rifle...

Forgot to ask about the sword. Anymore info on that concerning country of origin? Looks really nice.

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Forgot to ask about the sword. Anymore info on that concerning country of origin? Looks really nice.
    This is all I really know about the sword. It's a rare variant... so nobody has been comfortable giving me an estimated value.

The sword is Japanese.

The blade was handmade and is ancestral (passed down from father to son over many generations). It was made by the Kanemoto family of swordsmiths most likely in the 16th or 17th centuries (1500-1600s). The Kanemoto swordsmiths were known for the sanbonsuji temper line(three cedars). They would have two smaller and then one large pointed line in the temper resembling three cedar trees. The lineage of the Kanemoto line starts in the mid 15th century and continued through the WW2 period.

In Japanese swords the length of the blade is directly related to the height of the individual who wielded the weapon. At 19.5 inches in length, this blade is considered very short... so the Japanese soldier who last used this sword must have been below average in height!

The blade was originally in a more traditional "samurai" style mount. The other holes in the tang show that this blade was mounted in other styles during it's existence. It's mounting style you see now, particularly the tang screw and hand guard style, were implemented to meet regulations for the Russo-Japanese War in the early 1900s. This particular mount was custom-made for the user and exhibits traits seen in both police and naval swords. Although an outdated/ unconventional mount at the time, this sword was probably used by a Japanese soldier in WWII and brought back by a U.S. PTO veteran.

Where can you get ammo for a type 99? I have an early issue Type 99 with monopod. I thought about taking it to the range. NH

My local gun shop normally has some 7.7 in stock, but it's pricey. You can find it online, too.

Thanks for info on sword. Truly fascinating. Hope somtime you can get a professional apprasial as it does sound like a valuable item. Nice it was made by swordsmiths. Nice score and congradulations.

The bayonet is finally complete!

A free Japanese rifle...A free Japanese rifle...A free Japanese rifle...

Here's a comparison shot of my two Japanese Type30 bayonets. The trainer isn't a perfect restoration, but I still think it looks great!

A free Japanese rifle...
    (Left is my restored trainer bayonet. Right is my untouched, orginial combat batonet.)

They look great Joe. You should be commended for restoring these items to original or near original condition. Its great that you and many of us on the forum want to keep the history of these weapons of the past alive. Thanks for showing and keep up the good work (and the collecting of course)

?

Its looking great. Im happy to see it is saved from the garbage.

Another piece of history is saved!

Thanks, guys!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18