MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

A free Japanese rifle...

Article about: Forgot to ask about the sword. Anymore info on that concerning country of origin? Looks really nice.

Default Re: A free Japanese rifle...

Great story! Looking forward to the restoration.
    Hangarman

That's a great rifle and i'm sure it'll look even better when you've finished!...

Thanks gentlemen! This will be my project for the near future

?

Nice rifle Joe,should restore nicely,the bayonet looks like it is for a training rifle.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thanks, Pete! Does anyone know where I can find replacement grips for the bayonet?

Sweet Joe!

?

I wish someone would give me a free rifle, it will look good when it's restored.

Thanks, Krad!

Thanks Adam... I'm a little nervous about working on it... But it will be a labor of love.

In terms of free stuff... It doesn't hurt to ask family, friends, co-workers, etc. You never know!!

I have heard Kroil works well for rust removal. As far as the bore I used Hoppes #9 and Breakfree CLP on my Mauser when I inherited it from my father. Maybe the guys at Numrich can recommend something even better. Just wish people could take better care of items like this as far as storage. Good luck and hope to see it soon after resto.

Let the restoration process begin!

I figured I would include you guys in this process... I'm having a lot of fun!

First and foremost, I stripped the rifle. All screws came out without any problems. This leads me to believe that the prior owner (The USN WWII PTO submariner) took care of it. These screws would have likely been peened otherwise!
    A free Japanese rifle...

Next, I used a dental pick (retired from dental service! ) to remove the spider nests that were inside the stock. If I die in my sleep, it's because they sent their Queen to kill me as revenge...
    A free Japanese rifle...A free Japanese rifle...

I then checked out the general condition of the stock. It really seems untouched. In fact, it still has the two acceptance marks on the underside near the tang and rear sling swivel! I'm not sure if the stock has been refinished, or if the original finish was light due to Toyo Kogyo's "last-ditch" efforts. Each of the three pieces of the stock is a different shade of the red "Urushi" finish. For those of you that don't know... the finish on Arisaka rifles is actually from a poison sumac-like plant... people who unknowingly sand/ refinish these stocks often experience irritation to their eyes, ears, nose and throat if they don't take precaution! I'm looking for advice on how to gently clean up the stock. What appears to be white mold on the butt plate seems a little brittle and has me nervous (probably from where it stood on a damp concrete floor)...
    A free Japanese rifle...A free Japanese rifle... A free Japanese rifle...

Condition of the metal, especially under the wood line has me VERY optimistic! There doesn't appear to be ANY rust under the wood! Unfortunately, you can tell the barrel was resting up against a damp basement wall. The muzzle is probably the worst area of rust.
    A free Japanese rifle...A free Japanese rifle...

Next step is cleaning out the barrel! I think the Queen Spider lives in there!! WISH ME LUCK!

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast