Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

A free Japanese rifle...

Article about: Forgot to ask about the sword. Anymore info on that concerning country of origin? Looks really nice.

Default A free Japanese rifle...

Hi guys,

Excuse my enthusiasm, but I am really excited about this!

With my current job, I have constant interaction with the office of safety and security. We chit-chat a lot and since many of the security guards are ex-police and/or ex-military, the conversation often swings to military history and firearms.

A few weeks ago, a security guard and I got to talking and he mentioned that his father-in-law served in the Pacific. He said that he brought home a "Japanese Garand" and that it was collecting dust in the closet. I asked if he had any plans for the rifle, and the security guard stated that his wife was scared of it and wanted it out of the house. To make a long story short, I expressed my interest in acquiring the rifle and it looks like he is going to give it to me!

Now... I know that the Japanese did try to copy the M1 Garand (Type 4/ Type 5) and that around 100 prototypes were made... With that being said, I am assuming the security guard meant that his father-in-law's rifle was one of the standard service rifles of the Japanese military and NOT the super rare and expensive "Japanese Garand"...

The other night, I asked the security guard more about the rifle, and he said it was a rifle from late in the war when the Japanese were low on metal...

So... I don't really know what I'm going to end up with! A rare "Japanese Garand" would be great... I'd be equally pleased with anything for free! I'm actually hoping it's a last ditch Type 99... I've always wanted to add one of those to my collection.

Anyways! The security guard and I will be meeting up this coming Friday. Stay tuned!

?

Default Re: A free Japanese rifle...

That would be awesome if it was one of the Japanese semi auto's they made!!!!!
    I'll be tuning in for sure!!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

wow cant weight to hear about this one sounds like you made out well

Nice man, but when do the rest of us start getting free things? jk
    Cant wait to see what you end up with, I hope it is good!

Thanks, gentlemen!

I'll be sure to post photos and information ASAP!

If the rifle ends up being a gem, I'll be sure to at least offer him something! However, there's no chance I'll be able to come close to the $30,000 a REAL Japanese Garand would be worth!

- - Updated - -

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    Nice man, but when do the rest of us start getting free things? jk
    Cant wait to see what you end up with, I hope it is good!
    All you have to do is ask, Ben! You'd be surprised what people have in their closets, attics and garages!

.....And The Hits Just Keep On Comin'.........!

Great news Joe !
    Regards,

Steve.

I hope you get a Japanese Type 5 Rifle... BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

I'm excited for you! Even if its not the super rare 'Japanese Garand', its still free!

Best of luck
    Tom

I'm excited to know what is going to turn up too, whatever it turns out to be you certainly can't lose!

Thanks

Danny

Thanks, gentlemen!!

I'll be happy with anything, I just hope it's untouched and hasn't been sporterized. Although, I wouldn't mind a restoration job... I'm trying to meet with the security guard before Friday evening... Maybe I'll end up with the rifle today!!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast